Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorsderuiter
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011
    Hi,

My Fritzbox 7340 is the ADSL router for internet access, while I have all my wireless clients setup to use my Airport Extreme wireless network. The Airport Extreme is wired to the ADSL router. The ADSL router is also serving as DHCP server in my network.

Now, I've followed the steps to get the OpenDNS entries in the Airport Extreme, which went well. However, none of my wireless clients seem to using these DNS servers. I fear that, since the router is the DHCP server, my clients automatically use the DNS servers from the router.
    To make matters worse, there is no easy way to change DNS servers in the router. Further the router is also linked to IPTV from my Internet provider, so I probably can't even change them even if I tried.

Any hints? As a temporary measure, I've set the DNS servers for all clients locally, but that is not the preferred method.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011
    "I fear that, since the router is the DHCP server, my clients automatically use the DNS servers from the router."

You say it! Or better, they use the router as DNS server.

"Any hints?"

Sure, two options:

1. Disable DHCP on the Fritzbox, and enable it on the Airport Extreme.
    - or -
    2. Configure the Fritzbox with the OpenDNS server addresses and see if it impacts IPTV. I have a similar AVM router with DTAG as ISP, and it doesn't impact IPTV (Entertain) and VoIP (7 SIP providers - non-DTAG).
    • CommentAuthorsderuiter
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011
    Hi, I tried the second option, after learning the the DHCP server of the Airport Extreme only lets you set the ip range from 10.0.1.xxx, while all my ip addresses are in the range of 10.0.0.xxx.

Anyway, Fritzbox now uses OpenDNS servers and IPTV is still working.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011
    Happy to hear you got sorted. Just one comment on:

"the DHCP server of the Airport Extreme only lets you set the ip range from 10.0.1.xxx"

If your clients are all set to obtain their settings via DHCP, the IP address range doesn't matter. They will all change to 10.0.1.xxx without problem.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.