Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Jusr recieved the newsletter from Opendns (I don't use Opendns anymore). One of the main articles was the Google/Opendns collusion, so I decided to investigate being of the mind that anything to do with google is a bad move. The article claims faster surfing etc - which is complete tripe as Google is one of the main culprits for filling the web up wiith adverts etc... but I digress.

On logging onto my account I see the section for my IP address and MALWARE plastered all over it, at first I was alarmed and then grew rather angry as this is my static home IP I have 6 PC's in the house and all runniing Malwarebytes, Search and Destropy and NOD32 v4 anti-virus/spyware protection. I am also a network admin.

So I clicked the what is malware link to find out more and it states.
    "How can I tell if my network is infected?
    OpenDNS will display an infection warning when you log in to your account. You can also simply log in to your account and select Stats on the left sidebar. From there choose Blocked Domains and filter “only domains blocked as malware.” This will generate a list of malware sites your network has attempted to connect with."

So I do this and against my IP I have "All of your networks have stats disabled. You can enable some or all of them in your settings. Go enable stats to enjoy the stats and reporting goodness."

So basically Opendns is claiming I have malware activity yet they are not even monitoring my network????? :neutral:
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    The warning has nothing to do with keeping your stats. The malware warning appears when any computer from within your network looks up a domain that is known for malware. And the warning will stay there until you expressly remove it.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    Also, if you have a free acccount and do not visit your stats within two weeks, they stop collecting stats for you. As soon as you visit your stats, they resume collecting them (in case you have stats and logs enabled, of course).

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.