Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorcaptainkcf
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    Hello!

I just stumbled upon OpenDNS and am hoping I can utilize it to filter my students 50 iPads when they are NOT in school.

The schools network is filtered and the IT wont give me/dont know how to setup a VPN.

Is open DNS something a parent would need to set up at home on their router? If so, are there simple instructions that I can give to parents to set this up. Do they need access to restrictions on the iPad that my Admin password would only have access to?

Can I remotely set this up so that I control the filtering of all the iPads when they are in remote locations?

You cannot imagine the restrictions put on my teaching through not being able to use Safari and needing a 3rd party browser. Ugh.

Thanks in Advance!

-Josh
  1.  permalink
    No, OpenDNS is DNS, not a VPN service or software.

Regardless, OpenDNS filtering isn't for roaming devices. If you were to ask parents to use OpenDNS, they would all need to configure the DNS in their networks and create OpenDNS accounts and set filtering.

"Do they need access to restrictions on the iPad that my Admin password would only have access to?"

If the iPads connect to the home networks normally already, then no.

However, if you can force iPads to use a VPN connection to your school for all internet access outside of the school, they will use whatever you have configured at your end of the VPN tunnel, including OpenDNS.

"IT wont give me/dont know how to setup a VPN."

The know-how is publicly available. The problem would be IT setting up the VPN network, which they will apparently not do.

These are all limitations of attempting to control networks you do not own (which is also illegal in many cases). If the school IT department is not interested in filtering content and/or controlling roaming devices, you really have no options except to take up your concerns with a higher authority.
    Thankful People: zelus
  2.  permalink
    >>am hoping I can utilize it to filter my students 50 iPads when they are NOT in school.<<

Be careful there. Unless the students are also your children, you can get into some serious legal trouble if you try to filter their iPods when not in school.

Of course, you can always advise their parents about using OpenDNS at home.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.