Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorapoc-tim
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    where should I set the OpenDNS settings in my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND?

I can enter it in 2 locations:
    01. Network: WAN => prim.dns (208.67.222.222) & sec.dns (208.67.220.220)
    02. DHCP: DHCP Settings => prim.dns (208.67.222.222) & sec.dns (208.67.220.220)

Or both perhaps?

With Kind Regards,
    Tim
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    Try with the WAN side only. If you do it on the LAN (DHCP) side, you impact local name resolution.
    • CommentAuthorapoc-tim
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    Great, I'll enter them in the Wan Side...

Question: If I enter 2 other dns servers in the lan (dhcp) section, will these be used as 3th (Tertiary Server) & 4fth dns OR wil these settings bypass the settings in the wan section?

with kind regards, Tim.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    "If I enter 2 other dns servers in the lan (dhcp) section, will these be used as 3th (Tertiary Server) & 4fth dns OR wil these settings bypass the settings in the wan section?"

Difficult to say. This depends on how the firmware handles this case. Only the router manufacturer can finally confirm this.

Whatever, as this is on the LAN/DHCP side and called primary and secondary, I would expect that these DNS server addresses are propagated to all devices obtaining their settings automatically via DHCP, and these DNS server settings would override/bypass the router WAN settings then. They most likely do not act as tertiary and 4th DNS servers, not at all.

Also, why would you want to "enter 2 other dns servers in the lan (dhcp) section"? I don't see any use for doing so. Configuring external DNS server addresses on internal devices would break or impact local name resolution, as I said already. This feature is merely in case you operate your own internal DNS server, so that the related private IP address(es) is/are handed out to the DHCP driven devices.
    • CommentAuthorapoc-tim
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    you're probably right, thank you for the help and info, I know enough.

really appreciated and with kind regards, Tim.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.