Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthormarkian
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    Subject: Upcoming changes to your OpenDNS Basic account
    To: markiansaclot@gmail.com

OpenDNS

Valued customer,

OpenDNS has provided services that make the Internet safer, faster and more reliable for five years and today has more than 30 million users around the world. As a user of OpenDNS Basic and an early adopter, I deeply value the trust you've placed in us and hope you've found the service useful for filtering content on your network.

As our company continues its rapid growth, we're realigning our product family with an eye toward better fitting our customers' needs and goals. We've decided to implement some changes that will impact your use of OpenDNS over the next few months.

OpenDNS Basic has been redesigned as a product for home use solely, to focus on delivering the best possible experience for individuals and families. OpenDNS Enterprise, which launched two years ago and now has over 2,500 customers, is our product geared toward professional and commercial use of our Web content filtering and security services. Though not free like the OpenDNS Basic service you use today, it includes significant additional functionality -- in particular, malware and botnet protection services vetted and chosen by Fortune 100 organizations who rely on OpenDNS Enterprise today. And don't let the name fool you, while we are proud to have some of the largest companies in the world using OpenDNS, our business offering is competitively priced for businesses of all sizes.

If you choose not to migrate, you will continue to receive the same, best-in-class recursive DNS services for free without any usage limits, however all filtering functionality will be disabled on March 15th. You'll receive one more notice before that happens. If you'd like a free trial of OpenDNS Enterprise to explore its functionality for yourself and help you make your decision, we'd be more than happy to set it up right away.

Your account manager will be following up with you over the next couple days to discuss the changes. If you would like to speak to your account manager you can contact them directly or feel free to reply to this email with any immediate questions.

Account Representative:
    Jeremie Habib
    jeremie@opendns.com
    415-344-3159

Best,

David Ulevitch
    Founder and CEO
    OpenDNS, Inc.
    OpenDNS 410 Townsend St Suite 250 San Francisco, CA 94107
    Contact Us
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    Yes, this is in accordance to the information I get from the website here too, and what is offered for school and work environments.

You're apparently using OpenDNS in a corporate environment, and it is understandable that content/domain filtering isn't free for this anymore. But pure DNS with phishing and malware and rebind attacks blocking is still free for corporations. So what?

If you're using OpenDNS in a home environment, then I would suspect this mail reached you in error, and you may open a support ticket to get it reviewed.
  1.  permalink
    is this going to affect ISPs who have their ip space registered?
    • CommentAuthorpgarrett
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012
    Anyone else think its a bit odd that all pricing info has been removed from the site? I was able to find it not too long ago. Today? Nothing. Why not lay out the pricing structure?

rotblitz: You sure the malware and phishing protection is still included? Because I read "Though not free like the OpenDNS Basic service you use today, it includes significant additional functionality -- in particular, malware and botnet protection services vetted and chosen by Fortune 100 organizations who rely on OpenDNS Enterprise today" as implying it's not.
    • CommentAuthorpgarrett
    Then there's this blog entry from Oct 2009:

http://blog.opendns.com/2009/10/21/opendns-deluxe-and-opendns-enterprise-have-arrived/

"First and foremost, the free version you use and love today, what we’re calling OpenDNS Basic, is not going away. Ever. On the contrary it will continue to get better and better over time, with new features and functionality that are good for you, your users and the Internet. As we expand datacenters and our footprint, you’ll benefit from that, too. This is all being served on the same platform regardless of package."

Well yeah.... not so much.
    • CommentAuthorgeekpro
    I too received the email. It didnt give enough information but seemed intended to illicit a response. Either that or David isntaking a page from the Netflix or HP customer communication book.

I know it is a free service so I cant complain but it would seem that clearer communication would prevent a lot of unnecessary tickets\posts, etc.

I am a home user that has come to rely on the filtering...
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    @pgarrett
    "You sure the malware and phishing protection is still included?"

Yes, as always was and still is. What you (and they) mean is the enhanced malware protection which came along with Enterprise only all the time.
  2.  permalink
    How is this not perfectly crystal clear?

"OpenDNS Basic has been redesigned as a product for home use solely, to focus on delivering the best possible experience for individuals and families."
    • CommentAuthorsusanbrad
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/01/25/dear-mr-opendns.aspx

The reason pricing has been pulled off is that they are jumping the price. For OpenDNS deluxe, they are replacing it with OpenDNS Enterprise. The pricing starts at 1-50 users for $1,500 a year.

OpenDNS basic as I'm reading it as well will remove filtering, and will only be offered to homes.
  3.  permalink
    I got this email yesterday too. And today I just been stopped using opendns in my office network. I switched to NortonDNS just to get "free" malware protection. I found NortonDNS hasn't url block feature too, but atleast it'll protect my network from malware or phishing sites.
    • CommentAuthoradesea
    This is TERRIBLE! Most if not all Small businesses cannot afford $1500.00/year for DNS. Who are the competitors, time to start looking. I've been an OpenDNS user for years at work and home and loved the service. Even promoted it to co-workers, friend and family. This really is hurtful to move the pricing model the way they have. Hopefully there will be a mea culpa on their end soon!
    • CommentAuthorjig1
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited
    I am in the same boat as Susan (Love your blog BTW).

We dont mind if they increased the pricing of OpenDNS Deluxe (only $150 / year for 35 users). But the jump from $150 to $1,500? That is ridiculous! A big slap in the face to the small businesses!

AND they dont offer a monthly payment option. Is there a small business that can easily pay $1,500 for a DNS service??
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited
    if you are the owner of a small business and can't afford $1,500.00 (for a year of service), then you should probably close the doors.

i dont agree with how OpenDNS is handling this, either, but it is reasonable considering other solutions. try to buy an appliance that can do what OpenDNS can. you will probably pay more for the appliance, licensing, and paying someone to set it up/maintain it/make changes for you. that will def. exceed $1500.00. if it doesnt, then switch to that as your solution.
    • CommentAuthorsusanbrad
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    Tom, this isn't my only vendor, or cloud vendor. If they gave me an increase of value corresponding to what I'm paying in increase but they are not.

If every vendor jacked their prices up this much, the world could not afford this. This feels beyond inflation, and now ensuring that someone gets a fat payout.

I'm not objecting to a reasonable price for a reasonable product, but this jump, this high, this fast, is not that at all.

ExchangeDefender for example (which is a heck of a lot cheaper than $1500 a year) provides webfiltering. Untangle firewall (opensource throw it on a virtual box or a cheap hardware) will do as well and then it's bought and paid for. Most SMB firewalls are way less than $1500 A YEAR.

The huge jump in price is not reasonable. I'm an owner of a small business with choices here. All of them for a lot less per year than this. OpenDNS is not the only solution for me and now I'm finding out that I'm really not their target customer after all.

I wish them luck and I hope they don't jack the prices up in the future for any other customer base.
    • CommentAuthorsusanbrad
    And furthermore, if this price is not unreasonable, then publish it on the pricing page.

If this company really thinks this service is worth $1,500 a year for 1-50 users, then stick it on the pricing page.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    @susanbrad

correct, there are other solutions, hardware, virtual, open source, etc...

and i do agree about the jump in price, but to those saying they cant afford it? that is a stretch. not being able to afford it vs not agreeing with the new price are two different things.
    • CommentAuthormarkian
    yeah. sorry but just to confirm.
    Only Opendns Basic = free and without web filtering
    OpenDNS Enterprise = not free and with web filtering and more.

are will be available soon right?
    can i ask for estimated pricing, or they also change it.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "Only Opendns Basic = free and without web filtering"

No, this is with web content filtering - and free for use at home.
    http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/
    The leftmost option.

"OpenDNS Enterprise = not free and with web filtering and more." - Yes.
  4.  permalink
    Administrator
    We appreciate your feedback. We are listening.

@pgarrett - The DNS service is not going away. It will still be free.

Our CEO, David Ulevitch, provides more details here: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/ow2x5/opendns_stopping_all_filtering_for_free_accounts/c3kwrd0
    • CommentAuthorjig1
    I have to say I am very impressed with OpenDNS sales. I explained to them how a large jump from $150 to $1500 is tough to do, and there were willing to be flexible in getting us over to OpenDNS Enterprise at a reasonable price. Thanks OpenDNS!
    • CommentAuthorsusanbrad
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012
    Jig1 - Then it should be priced at this lower amount from the get go. I was quoted $500 after I emailed back and forth. So now something that they originally said is worth $1,500 I can get for $500? I'm sorry I'm a female that pays a fair price and am not into car sales haggling. The writing is on the wall for me, they want Enterprises, not small businesses. I do not like companies that only respond to squeaky wheels. Everyone should get the same treatment, and not just someone who complains. I have options.
    • CommentAuthorwmoore027
    are those on OpenDns Deluxe affected?
    • CommentAuthorsusanbrad
    Yes, this impacts OpenDNS Deluxe.
    • CommentAuthorwmoore027
    ok thanks, was wondering why I did not get that e-mail but just noticed I opt-ed out of announcements
  5.  permalink
    I'm not gonna pay 1500$/yr for our small company just to filter out URLs. Our 100$ Mikrotik router can do that very well, for lifetime. Also I'm using free NortonDNS for basic malware site protection. So, this is what I found as an easy alternative of OpenDNS service. But I'd like to thank OpenDNS for their outstanding free service that I enjoyed over the past few years.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012
    @ Jig1 - Then it should be priced at this lower amount from the get go. I was quoted $500 after I emailed back and forth. So now something that they originally said is worth $1,500 I can get for $500? I'm sorry I'm a female that pays a fair price and am not into car sales haggling. The writing is on the wall for me, they want Enterprises, not small businesses. I do not like companies that only respond to squeaky wheels. Everyone should get the same treatment, and not just someone who complains. I have options.

i agree with you. if some people got this for $500 and other paid $1500, i'd be curious to see what the user difference is.

and i am also curious to see what Jig1 paid.
    • CommentAuthorjoshz0rs
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012
    This is outright ridiculous and is NOT a good move on OpenDNS in my opinion.
    It's really a shame that they cannot see that most home users don't post on the forum, because they have no reason to (until now, that is). That does not imply that they hate the service and want to pay an absurd amount of money just for filtering.
    This move that OpenDNS is taking is in my opinion, a move that can demolish their customer-base. I'm personally glad I did not waste my money (yes, waste) on paying for VIP, seeing how that even VIP/Deluxe users wont be able to benefit from web filtering.
    They could lose thousands, maybe even millions of customers because of this. Since majority of OpenDNS users is home users who rely on it for Web Filtering. And not all home users are exactly rich either. A lot of people live on a very tight budget these days and cannot afford such a ridiculous price.

So in my conclusion, I really think they need to re-think their strategy here, and take into considering just what they're getting theirselves into.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited
    @joshz0rs, you missed one point:

OpenDNS Home is free and has web content filtering.
    http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/ (left-most option)
    So what?
    • CommentAuthorjoshz0rs
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited
    "So what?" indeed...
    • CommentAuthormarkian
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    thanks for the confirmations
    • CommentAuthorkkpoait
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012
    Please tell us that this is an unfinished pricing plan. There is OpenDNS Home and OpenDNS Enterprise -- what about OpenDNS SMB? IBM is an enterprise, Exxon is an enterprise, etc. etc. My company is not an enterprise -- it is a small to medium sized business. Does OpenDNS think that our budgets, set in the middle of last year, included $1,500 of fluff for a new charge that never existed before? Let's see, where can I find $1,500 to pay for unbudgeted short-warning expenses? Should I cut my own salary to pay for the company's web content filtering?

OpenDNS with web content filtering should not be free. They have to pay for their expenses somehow. Jumping to such levels, and without a chance to budget for them is unreasonable.
    •  
      CommentAuthordavidu
    Administrator
    @kkpoait -- We're working through this to provide the best possible product at a reasonable rate. I'm definitely sensitive and receptive to your point about budget and timing. If you discuss with our sales folks, they will give you a trial for a number of months if needed.

You can also always email me david at opendns dot com. I've been responding to folks who've emailed me. I don't want SMB to be caught in-between services, but for the moment, we don't have a great product lineup that fits you. When we had a self-serve deluxe product online, it was abused with 50-person companies buying 5 seats for $25. And it wasn't the full enterprise product. It was a half-product we never liked.

We're listening, and by and large, most of you have been understanding and accommodating of the change. For those of you who aren't, we're spending a lot of time talking about the right path forward, and welcome your input.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    @kkpoait

i certainly agree with you in regards to budgeting, but keep in mind, most budgets have a 10-20% 'oh, crap' factored in as well. what do you guys do when your HVAC system needs immediate attention...?

i am not backing up the cost increase, but as a business, small or large, you need to have some kind of safety net. it is a two way street.

@david

i think the price model of 1-50 is too wide of a range. companies with 1-20 employees should not have the same pricing as a company with 50 employees. i was told the first cut for pricing was 1-50.

1-25- $150.00/year
    26-50- $250.00/year
    51-75- $350.00/year
    76-100- $450.00/year

i dont know...just a though based on what i am paying for 1-50 (i think what i paid was too much, but i needed it, so i didn't really have a choice).

let the real enterprise companies pay for the service...the companies that are going to compare your product to an appliance.
    • CommentAuthorkkpoait
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited
    tomdlgns said:

i certainly agree with you in regards to budgeting, but keep in mind, most budgets have a 10-20% 'oh, crap' factored in as well. what do you guys do when your HVAC system needs immediate attention…?

I'm an IT department -- HVAC is not relevant to my budget, only IT. All of my outside services budgets are increased 5% over the actual amount spent the year before, plus any increases that I know about or suspect are coming. I have two swag areas in my budget, both in the Minor DP Equipment areas. In those areas, I push most of the spending toward the end of the year, so I will have some funds left in case a server dies unexpectedly. There is no 20% cushion. SMBs are trying to survive. We don't have $97 Billion in the bank to fall back on like Apple (*that* is an *Enterprise* -- we are a small/medium business). If we have 10% money left over at the end of the year, it is because we abused our association members by charging them too much, and we will not be trusted going forward.

OpenDNS: You are threatening to cut us off in five weeks unless we can find this money somewhere. This is not a small amount of additional money for a small/medium business or association. I must sacrifice you or something else. If the increase were reasonable, I could find the money. If there had been warning enough to include it in my budget, I could have decided whether to budget for it or look elsewhere. Neither is the case.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited
    @ kkpoait "My company is not an enterprise -- it is a small to medium sized business."

my apologies, i read it as your company and not the company you work for. regardless, i still agree that the price jump is huge. real enterprises probably love this pricing...pocket change.

also, if you are in IT HVAC should be on your list. maybe not in your budget, but you probably hope someone has it in their budget, right? ;)
  6.  permalink
    I don't see how they could tell if you are a business or a home user if you are using OpenDNS home version. Personally, I think this goes on the honor system. If you are a business then they would expect you to sign up for the business version(s)
  7.  permalink
    "I don't see how they could tell if you are a business or a home user "

Traffic volume.
    • CommentAuthorchampion21
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012
    OpenDNS is acting quite rude about this. Prices doubling and in the business case going up $1350 ?

Have you people lost your minds or did Symantec buy you?
    • CommentAuthordns.od
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012
    SO, I dont get it.

Will the $20 VIP still be offered with filtering after this "deadline"?

And if it is, is it exactly the same as the one they offered for only $10, or does it have some extra features?

A PAGE to compare all offers in DETAIL, with pricing, would be nice you know!
  8.  permalink
    There really isn't anything to compare. You can only buy VIP as a home user. The enterprise offering covers all institutional uses. VIP gives you larger black/white lists, whitelist-only mode, longer retention of stats, and further customization of of the block/guide pages over the free parental controls offering. For any other questions, contact sales.
    • CommentAuthordlehman1
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012
    Why in the world would I pay when I'm already giving you free ad access to my entire corporate network, and admittedly, with my DNS caching, you're doing LESS work for my network than for the same number of home network users as I have?

Second, why would I stick with the free, when I get the same from Google on 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4?

I ran the numbers, and you want to charge more than my anti-virus? Have you lost your minds?

I'm an IT admin in an SMB that simply isn't going to budget for this period, ever. It's not even my call. I can't sell DNS filtering to my boss. I know it's useful. I like your service. But I don't think it's worth the price, and you want me to sell that to a boss who knows nothing about what you even do?

Even if they did allocate that money, I'd tell them to just pay me, and I'll go back to maintaining the hosts.txt. Cause that's basically all you replaced for us.

You don't even have anything like DNSCrypt working to sweeten the deal.

Deuces, OpenDNS. I'm out!
    Thankful People: rondefulio
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012
    Maintaining hosts.txt won’t work. The proper file is called hosts - no extension.
    Thankful People: glugger
  9.  permalink
    We did some research and found alternative: http://www.scrubit.com

Found this source and others at: http://alternativeto.net/software/opendns/

I can't believe all you folks who are paying for the formerly free service.

So check out www.scrubit.com
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012
    "So check out www.scrubit.com"

Did that.

That's true, you will be highly protected when using their "service".
    Their resolvers do not respond to DNS queries. :cool:

nslookup -timeout=12 www.google.com. 67.138.54.100
    nslookup -timeout=12 www.google.com. 207.225.209.66

Using their service is just like having no internet connection at all, very protected. :bigsmile:

"I can't believe all you folks who are paying for the formerly free service."

No, why should we pay? For home users it's still all free, and still cheap for some enhanced features and goodies.
  10.  permalink
    Thanks rotblitz. That is true. They must be down for some reason now. Still can't get their DNS to work.

Another option is Free NortonDNS:

Policy 1: Security (198.153.192.40 and 198.153.194.40) This policy blocks all sites hosting malware, phishing sites, and scam sites. To use Policy 1, you should configure the DNS settings of your home router or Web-enabled device to use the following Norton DNS IP addresses: 198.153.192.40 and 198.153.194.40.

Policy 2: Security + Pornography (198.153.192.50 and 198.153.194.50) In addition to blocking unsafe sites, this policy also blocks access to sites that contain sexually explicit material. To use Policy 2, you should configure the DNS settings of your home router or Web-enabled device to use the following Norton DNS IP addresses: 198.153.192.50 and 198.153.194.50.

Policy 3: Security + Pornography + Non-Family Friendly (198.153.192.60 and 198.153.194.60) This policy is ideal for families with young children. In addition to blocking unsafe sites and pornography sites, this policy also blocks access to sites that feature mature content, abortion, alcohol, crime, cults, drugs, gambling, hate, sexual orientation, suicide, tobacco or violence. To use Policy 3, you should configure the DNS settings of your home router or Web-enabled device to use the following Norton DNS IP addresses: 198.153.192.60 and 198.153.194.60.
  11.  permalink
    I have 10 PC's at the office which was around $50 for the premium service.... they contacted me and offered the $1500 "Enterprise" service, and some sort of "discount" (~1000) if I signed up early.

The main reason I signed up for OPENDNS was as a partial solution to fix my bandwidth problems. The only internet service offered to my office was T1 ($400/mo). So I needed to block streaming video, music, torrent, etc. otherwise the speed of my office internet would come to a standstill. The other stuff like adult site, malware, was an added bonus.

Completely dissatisfied here... no such thing as a 3000% increase in price under any circumstance.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.