Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    In the past, the proxify site, www.proxify.com has been blocked with OpenDNS. Today however I noticed I was able to access this website! I have logged into OpenDNS and tried to add it as a 'proxy/anonymizer', but it says it was not added as it was already in that category! All other proxy sites are blocked, but for some reason proxify can get through! I tried blocking the IP address of proxify at my router, but it seems to change constantly. How can I/we work to get this site blocked, as it effectively disables any filtering by OpenDNS.

thanks

Richard
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012
    This site belongs to the category "Proxy/Anonymizer".
    http://domain.opendns.com/proxify.com

If it is not blocked for you, then one or more of the following is the case:
    1. You're not instantly and consistently using OpenDNS for your DNS lookups. The configuration of the OpenDNS server addresses may be incomplete or inaccurate.
    2. You're not instantly using your OpenDNS settings due to your IP address changed and the update didn't take place successfully.
    3. You don't have the category "Proxy/Anonymizer" checked at your dashboard settings.
  2.  permalink
    It seems to be blocking it now. The fact there was a temporary 'disabling' of OpenDNS with regard to this website is worrying though. Is it a known issue for some websites that should be blocked being temporarily let through?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012 edited
    As if you hadn't read my previous message... :sad:
    Or didn't you understand it? :shocked:

So yes, it is a known and often reported issue, caused by the end user. The forum is overwhelming full with related complaints. But extremely rarely it has to do with what you call "a temporary 'disabling' of OpenDNS with regard to this website" or "being temporarily let through".

"some websites that should be blocked"

Following up with my previous message, a website should not be blocked in the following cases:
    1. You're not instantly and consistently using OpenDNS for your DNS lookups. The configuration of the OpenDNS server addresses may be incomplete or inaccurate.
    2. You're not instantly using your OpenDNS settings due to your IP address changed and the update didn't take place successfully.
    3. You don't have the category "Proxy/Anonymizer" checked at your dashboard settings.

Clearer now?

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.