Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorsmith6612
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012 edited
    This seems to have begun occurring within the last month, and while I've had no other issues with OpenDNS, it seems that any website, such as Lithium forums or GameFront that use the Edgecast CDN for distributing content seems to result in a DNS lookup failure from time to time. Right now is one of these times, and my PC is not able to receive a reply back from the OpenDNS Servers, all requests time out to Edgecast.

The problem comes and goes once every few days. Often it's during the middle of the day, but sometimes it takes place during the evening or night time hours. I've not seen it occur yet in the morning or very early morning hours. The problem often lasts for up to an hour, with the longest being a 4 hour outage for only Edgecast.

Here's a result of an nslookup for an Edgecast CDN hosted domain, done both against OpenDNS Resolver 1 for my region (Resolver 2 gives same results), and against another DNS server provided by Level3.

My router (An ActionTec MI424WR I flashed to DD-WRT) currently has radvd and DNSMasq set to pass-through the DNS servers it is configured for to the devices on my network, so the devices all make queries directly to the DNS servers, NOT the router as a DNS Relay.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>nslookup media1.gamefront.com
    Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Request to resolver1.opendns.com timed-out

C:\Users\>nslookup media1.gamefront.com resolver2.opendns.com
    Server: resolver2.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.220.220

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Request to resolver2.opendns.com timed-out

C:\Users\>nslookup media1.gamefront.com 4.2.2.2
    Server: vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net
    Address: 4.2.2.2

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: ne1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net
    Address: 72.21.81.253
    Aliases: media1.gamefront.com
    wpc.1f32.edgecastcdn.net

C:\Users\>

Any help or insight would be appreciated!
  1.  permalink
    For possible further insight, do
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    In particular, note the resolver location with respect to your geographic location.

You can paste the results here, but feel free also to open a support ticket with all the same information - you can include a link to this thread.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    And just to ensure it is not a timeout problem "only", try with:
    nslookup -timeout=12 media1.gamefront.com 208.67.222.222

Further, ensure to visit CacheCheck: http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/
    • CommentAuthorsmith6612
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    Right now the problem is not happening, but the next time it does I will give both the debug command a run (again) and also bump up the timeout. I will also run CacheCheck.

Here's the current debug check. Right now I cannot reproduce the problem as naturally, things are working as they should.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com
    Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
    debug.opendns.com text =

"server 4.nyc"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"flags 20 0 2cc 0"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"id 1105058"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"source 71.243.***.***:58249"

C:\Users\>
  2.  permalink
    Would the NYC resolver seem like a sensible location to which your lookups should be routed?
    http://www.opendns.com/technology/network-map/
    • CommentAuthorsmith6612
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012 edited
    Most certainly is. I'm in the WNY area, and my ISP (Verizon) ships all of their traffic to/from New York City for my area, regardless of the destination (it could be a server in my area for that matter!). No getting around that fact.

Frontier, another Telephone company around here ships their traffic to Ashburn, VA so it would make more sense if I were on Frontier to have Frontier in the Northeast go to Ashburn rather than New York. I have a line with them as well, but I am not using OpenDNS on that line as I cannot tie an OpenDNS account to a Dynamic DNS address I use. That connection, while heavily used, has machines that do not run the OpenDNS Updater. I have no idea how that one would route to the OpenDNS resolvers right now as I am not on that connection.
  3.  permalink
    You cannot choose the routing, the ISPs do that. But if you are in New York State, NYC is most likely the best resolver location for you, so there shouldn't be any latency caused by this.

If the problem with Edgecast occurs again, perform the debug lookup and domain lookups and send them in a support ticket. (Always use a trailing dot after the domain name.)
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    nslookup media1.gamefront.com.

and if you need to direct the request to a specific DNS service
    nslookup media1.gamefront.com. 208.67.222.220
    nslookup media1.gamefront.com. 208.67.220.222
    nslookup media1.gamefront.com. 4.2.2.1
    etc.

And check with Cache Check to see if OpenDNS isn't getting a response from the authoritative servers.

Whatever, this seems odd and annoying. I hope you don't have to deal with it in the future.
    • CommentAuthorsmith6612
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    I understand I can't change the routing. I find that quite unfortunate, too as sending everything to New York City as a part of their network design has led to multiple outages over the course of this past year, not to mention the packet loss issues and speed issues they've had with the same gear that keeps going down. They've had routers fail, which results in not being able to route to most places. Essentially, there goes most of the Internet. Couldn't even route to places in my own area on the same ISP, but on different subnets and edge routers. Goes to NYC and comes back. To make matters worse, I'm also on the older, legacy portion of their network due to the fact that further issues arise with my connection if they even move me to newer gear. They did that two weeks ago, and I had to speak to a contact I've got in the company to get me moved back. I really wish they'd smarten up a bit more and take advantage of their link between Buffalo and Chicago, and also make use of the nice peering points in the area with other ISPs like Level3 and Equinix. But nope! Have to make single points of failure with how the network was configured, have to also make latency higher than it needs to be sending it all to a common Internet Exchange (though I can't blame them. Everyone else does it).

Anyways, the next time the problem occurs I will create a Support Ticket. I haven't seen anything today so far. Thanks for helping :)

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.