Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthororen_yul
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012
    Hi all,
    I just moved to HOT, a local Israeli TV/Phone/Internet supplier.

I am using a Segacom F@ST 3184 modem/router.
    The DNS there is fixed to the company DNS.

How can I still use OpenDNS?
    Must I go to each PC on the network and change their DNS from automatic to static with the correct numbers?

Is there another, simpler/safer, solution?

Thanks,
    Oren
    • CommentAuthorbp1
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012
    In the UK we have BT and their homehubs which also are not configurable for dns settings.
    I managed to use my old router and disabled the dhcp on the BT new router. I then enabled DHCP and dns on the old router. The old router was connected as a slave via the lan port to the BT router. What you get then is that the old router provudes dhcp and dns which points to OpenDns to all my network devices.
    I got the original instructions here http://punj-technology.blogspot.com/2011/02/using-opendns-with-bt-homehub-broadband.html

Hope the above helps
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012
    "Must I go to each PC on the network..."

In case you have so many computers, it's worth to think about an own internal DNS server. This can be an old computer with a free DNS server distro like BIND.
    • CommentAuthortim1
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012
    Hi Oren. I also moved to Hotnet today. As you say, there's no way to change the DNS setting in the Hotbox. I did have the OpenDNS addresses plugged in on each client device, but the resolution time is VERY slow. I ended up just putting the Hotbox's address as DNS instead. Did you find any way around the limitation? I have around 6-7 PCs and device on the network. Not sure if that makes having an internal DNS worthwhile, although it'd be an interesting project for sure :)
    :wink:
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012 edited
    What you also could do is to put another router behind the ISP's device, configure this with OpenDNS, and connect all devices with this router. Or simply exchange the ISP's device by another router if possible.

But before taking any efforts you must ensure that you can use OpenDNS at all:
    nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com. 208.67.222.222
    • CommentAuthormidomix4
    make a new server or good pc as a gateway for all workstation , just enable nat on this windows server pc or server , install dyn dns client updater software on it and put open dns ip's on this pc adapter , configure dhcp to distribute open dns ip's upon all clients
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "configure dhcp to distribute open dns ip's upon all clients"

Bad idea. It is really suboptimal to have external resolver IP addresses on local devices. This is not where they normally belong to as this breaks or at least impacts local name resolution.

If a server is used, then a DNS server software like BIND belongs onto this, and the OpenDNS resolver addresses are to be configured as forwarders, not on the DHCP side.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.