Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorkurtosis
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012 edited
    Hello, I use Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop and want every new wireless connection to automatically default to OpenDNS. So for example when I walk into a new coffee shop I've never been in and connect to their wifi, it should automatically configure with OpenDNS instead of the default (currently blank in Ubuntu).

boink2 explained it back in Feb 2009 (best I could find searching), but I just want to confirm that this is still the best way:

======================================
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3074&page=1#Item_3

"If you want to always use OpenDNS on your ubuntu laptop, you would need to set the dhclient.conf in the /etc/dhcp3/ directory.

prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220;

you would need to adjust that line in the dhclient.conf to above.

this way the dhcp server won't overwrite the /etc/resolv.conf which is the file which holds the DNS info for your computer."
    ======================================

Note, on Ubuntu 11.10 it's no longer /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf, but /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf.

Also, I already have about ten wireless connections that were autoconfigured using the default DNS, and want to change them. Anyone know if there's anyway to do that in bulk, or do I have to go through the settings one at a time?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012
    Not a good idea trying to use OpenDNS in networks you do not own. :sad:
    You may render your laptop unusable regarding its internet connection... :shocked:
    • CommentAuthorkurtosis
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012 edited
    Thanks, but how so?

Also, say I run into the problem you mention - I can't connect to some coffee shop's wireless connection. Is fixing that as simple as just reverting the connection setting back to the default DNS settings?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012
    "but how so?"

Because the network admin alone has the power to determine what's allowed in his network, e.g. whether or not a 3rd party DNS service can be used, or what DNS service has to be used, not you as a guest.

"Is fixing that as simple as just reverting the connection setting back to the default DNS settings?"

Yes, it would be. But why fixing when it's not broken? Roaming devices should be set to obtain their network settings automatically via DHCP. Simply leave this setting always on roaming devices. This guarantees that internet connection will be available, as should be. Everything else will likely break it or needs "fixing".

OpenDNS is for networks you own, not for your devices in other networks, so easy.
    • CommentAuthorkurtosis
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012
    Got it, thanks.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.