Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorc130
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    I have created an account on Dns-0-matic.
    I have set it up on my dd-wrt router. It seems to work eg when I log onto the dns-o-matic site, it shows my current ip address of my router. Great.

Now thats all nice and everything but despite me reading and reading over the rather scant info on the service. Im not sure what its point is. Sadly when you click documentation its not documentation! It again goes on to talk about what it works with and other thingsm mostly links to other sites, but I cant really see one shred of documentation, that I thought would describe more about it and how to set it up. I just copyied someone elses set up and got it to work. But fleshing more data would be nice.

Anyway after my whine, and trying to figure out what it does Im going to make a stab at it and see if Im right. Im sure many will feel free to tell me where Ive gone wrong.
    Here is my explanation:

If you have software that is DNS-0-matic aware you put your dns-o-matic account into into that software it will automatically tell that software what your ip is.

You see I thought it did something like dyndns eg give you a domain name. myhouse.dyndns.com But it does not. However if you had dns-o-matic aware software that worked with Dyndns.com then you could use it to tell dyndns.com what your current IP is. I suppose I found this all confusing because I have dyndns and just used their software to update my ip. So Im confused why you would use dns-o-matic instead.
    Thats a question someone might answer for me as well.
    Also
    If I have dns-o-matic in my router does that mean that opendns will always know about me if I use there dns numbers. (that I could see as advantages)

Regards.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012 edited
    DNS-O-Matic is just a service which distributes/propagates your IP address updates to different services like DynDNS, OpenDNS, and so forth which require IP address updates for the one or other reason, i.e. which need to know your IP address in order to function properly. Many update clients are limited to one DDNS service only, and here DNS-O-Matic can help if you have more than one service, in your case DynDNS and OpenDNS.

Therefore you configure/activate your services (DynDNS and OpenDNS) at DNS-O-Matic, you configure your update client (DD-WRT in your case) to send the IP address information updates to DNS-O-Matic, and DNS-O-Matic informs again all services you have defined/configured there.

That's it! Nothing magic. You save to run different update clients for each service then, but can cover all with one update client, e.g. DD-WRT.

"If I have dns-o-matic in my router does that mean that opendns will always know about me if I use there dns numbers"

The IP address updates are unrelated to the usage of the DNS resolver addresses which is a different thing. However, to make your OpenDNS settings work, you must send your IP address updates also to OpenDNS (e.g. via DNS-O-Matic).

Btw, "If I have dns-o-matic in my router" is strange terminology. You can't put DNS-O-Matic into your router. You can just configure your router to send IP address updates to DNS-O-Matic.
    • CommentAuthorwolfman1
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    Thanks, I think I understand. Yes I suppose I should use the term, I have my router configured to work with DNS-0-Matic.

Regards.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.