Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthormcico
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012
    Does OpenDNS provide DNS names for home networks? i.e., can I give out a DNS name for people I want to connect to my network instead of proving the current WAN IP address?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    No. OpenDNS is a recursive DNS service, not an authoritative DNS service for your DNS hosting. You'll want to look after a DNS hosting service.
    Thankful People: zelus, cindelicato
    • CommentAuthorphilreinie
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    rotblitz, do you mean that when I'm away from home, to find my home network (for this question, let's call it "mynet"), I must log into my OpenDNS account to find my home network's IP? There is no service where I can enter something like MyNet.opendns.com instead of using my IP?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    Again, OpenDNS is not the service you're looking for for this purpose.

There are dozens of services out there, almost with a free option, doing what you want: providing you with a Dynamic DNS hostname, and you had to keep it fed with your changing IP address information.

Search the web for "DNS hosting service" or "DDNS hosting service".
    Thankful People: maintenance
    • CommentAuthorphilreinie
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    OK, thanks, rotblitz. I don't know what a recursive DNS is, or an authoritive DNS service, so I asked about what I was hoping Open DNS provided.

I'll continue to use No-IP for Dynamic DNS host name maintenance.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.