Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortak91
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012
    First of i'm not sure this is in the right section so I apologise in advance if it is!

I want to set up OpenDNS on a single laptop (unfortunately I have a BT homehub that does not allow me to change the DNS address)

The laptop has a static IP address, but it is also used in a variety of locations. Will OpenDNS function correctly on any internet connection? Or only in the location that I configure it at?

I hope that makes sense, networking confuses the heck out of me!
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012 edited
    You'll never know - it depends on the network to which you are connected. You may or may not use your choice of DNS server depending.

However, you should never run the OpenDNS updater outside networks you own. This may 1)interfere with the network, 2) remove filtering from your home network, and 3) not work at all if you're lucky.

It's generally best to accept the configuration given by the network you are visiting, unless you want to play with your network settings occasionally in cases where it looks like you have no connection where your DNS is set to static.

If you have a Windows machine, you can use the Free IP Switcher from here:
    http://www.eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm
    to set up two profiles between which you can switch if necessary. (One for at home, one for awy when necessary.) You need only set the DNS fields - in one profile for static OpenDNS addresses, and in the other for DNS to Obtain Server Addresses Automatically. And under the File menu, you can choose whether this starts at system boot and whether it closes automatically upon switching.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.