Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorlobster70
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012
    Does anyone at OpenDNS monitor this group: http://groups.google.com/group/daily-web-proxies

What a handy way to update the database!
  1.  permalink
    Fortunately, 2 that I picked at random from today's post were blocked by OpenDNS, so it's questionable how 'fresh' they are.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012
    I personally know at least 50 of such groups / mailing lists / forums/ sites publishing "fresh" proxies every day or every few days. And I believe there are many of the few million of OpenDNS users regularily reporting those.
    Thankful People: zelus, cindelicato
    • CommentAuthorlobster70
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    I signed up for the daily messages. Over the last three days, it has been about 50/50 as to whether OpenDNS already has them blocked within a day or two, which is pretty good. Some seem to go unnoticed, however. I have added those to my own list, but will look into reporting those myself.
    • CommentAuthorlobster70
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    Just looked into the URL reporting tool (sorry - I have been more of a taker than a giver here I guess.)

It seems the best way for me to address this will be to add the list from the daily messages to the community for review. How many votes are required to make the domain actually blocked?
  2.  permalink
    I'm not sure how entirely how the voting works, but someone explained it in the forum at least once a while back. IIRC, at base, 5 yes votes and 0 no votes makes a domain ready for approval (or rejection) by volunteer tagging mods.

Whether or not there are a lot of people voting on your domains or categories of interest is another matter.

Another method is to request the domains be blocked in a category via support ticket, but I don't know what sort of reception repeated bulk requests would get.

Additionally, if you feel like visiting the forum occasionally, you could encourage people who post about domains not being blocked to submit and vote regularly. There is even a domain tagging Firefox extension toolbar for people who find that sort of thing helpful.

Also, OpenDNS may still be accepting volunteer domain tagging mods. You can open a support ticket and ask.
    Thankful People: rotblitz, zelus
    • CommentAuthorsjwalter
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    As a moderator with access to the 'stats'.....I can tell you that proxy sites get pushed through very fast.

But, it helps if you vote, and it would help even more if more people got involved with the moderating side.
    Thankful People: zelus, maintenance
    • CommentAuthorsjwalter
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    Here is a quick link for those people interested in being moderators.

http://community.opendns.com/domaintagging/faq/#WhoAreTheModerators
    Thankful People: zelus, maintenance, lobster70

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.