Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjiiva
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    I am an administrator of an internet cafe and my users was complaining that a lot of sites was blocked by the opendns community. I tried to put on some sites on whitelist but it doesn't work. I did not check any categories for my network.
    One example is the site friendster.com ( a photo sharing site) that was tagged as "social networking" and thus blocked but this site is a copycat of flickr.com which has a tag of "photo sharing".
    • CommentAuthormamazitta
    If you do not have any categories blocked, and you have no sites in your blocked domains, then nothing is being blocked. Your users should see everything. Perhaps you have a different IP and your users are seeing stuff from another IP? That is my only thought. Check your current IP and the one you are using at OpenDNS. They must be the same, but I am highly suspicious they are not.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    The "easiest" way for an internet cafe is probably not to add an IP address (= "network") to the related OpenDNS account at all. (Stats may also not be written in this case, but I am not sure about this, there is still an "all networks" option.) In case not having defined a "network", only phishing sites would be blocked (this is OpenDNS default and should be ok). I would not think there is a reasonable blocking mode for internet cafe visitors. It would lose customers if they were blocked from anything. If particular customers would like to have categories blocked, I would rather propose a kind of local blocking SW or a proxy server with related rules, which can be enabled and disabled on a per workstation basis, as needed.
    • CommentAuthorSkip
    Friendster.com is definately a social networking site:

Friendster is a leading global social network emphasizing genuine friendships and the discovery of new people through friends. Search for old friends and...
    • CommentAuthorSkip
    Also, after you whitelist a domain it can take up to an hour or so to get to all of your desktop systems because of DNS caches and whatnot.
    • CommentAuthormiked
    jiivaneshvar,

If you do not have any categories selected, you should not be seeing any sites blocked. Except for phishing scams, we do not block any sites by default.

Please click "Contact" on the bottom of any page of the OpenDNS site and open a support ticket with us so we can address this.
    • CommentAuthorjiiva
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Hi! thanks to all for your help. My Isp has dynamically changed my ip address from 58.xxx.xxx.xxx to 12x.xxx.xxx.xxx, Although I used the opendns updater, it just returned an error. I tried to manully put in 12x.xxx.xxx.xxx at my dashboard settings but it said the network is being used by another. So I think another opendns user who is also a subscriber of my ISP has put it in, ahead of me, along with those restrictive settings and when the ISP dynamically change our Ip's, he probably forgot to update it, and my network was using his settings. But when my ISP has put me be on 58.xxx.xxx.xxx today, everything goes fine. I also remove the network, as suggested above, but I need the stats, so I have to put it back and activate opendns updater. Thanks to all, guess I'll keep my job.
    • CommentAuthorlovecock
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    opendns = communism
    Thankful People: me1995
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    @jiivaneshvar

Yes, this is a well known problem having been discussed in many threads here. I am sure that OpenDNS are already hard working on a solution.
    • CommentAuthorkoyut
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    I am also experiencing the same difficulties. Good I found this post.
    • CommentAuthorretrotec
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    I have an intracompany wiki hosted on a vmware server on a windows xp box, and opendns intermittently blocks it. I have whitelisted it and it still won't work all the time. If I go there directly by IP I can get there but users will not be able to do remember the ip. Also if I go by IP I can't navigate further into the wiki, opendns blocks the links. This is crazy.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.