Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I know this topic has been discussed extensively. I've researched a number of the threads. I've been an OpenDNS user for years and already configured the appropriate Apple domains as white listed. Interestingly, the knowledge base document on this has been removed from the OpenDNS forums. Even with the domains configured, I am having serious trouble with streaming on my 2nd Gen Apple TV. It is the only device in the house experiencing issues. I have a 30mbps RoadRunner connection.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
  2.  permalink
    Can you describe "serious issues"? That really tells us nothing about the problem at all. Then someone might be able to offer a suggestion or appropriate diagnostic tests. Any error messages (as they appear or if they are logged), if such are generated and available to you, would be helpful.
  3.  permalink
    The "serious issue" is that DOWNLOAD times from iTunes when using OpenDNS SUCK.

I have a 20Mbps connection and it takes 96 minutes to download a 500MB movie - as soon as I change back to a ISP DNS it screams!
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012
    General advice for troubleshooting:
    1. You'll find out what IP addresses your ISP returns for the TV service.
    2. You'll find out what IP addresses OpenDNS returns for the TV service.
    3. If they are the same, then your problem is not DNS related, else you execute traceroutes to that IP addresses.

You may see from the output that you are routed to far more distant locations with the IP addresses returned by one of the DNS services. This would be the problem.

Run these diagnostics using OpenDNS and with the iTunes domain in question:
    Windows: http://www.opendns.com/download/windows/diagnostic
    Mac OS: http://www.opendns.com/download/mac/diagnostic

Then open a support ticket at https://dashboard.opendns.com/support/ describing your problem, and also with the URL to the diagnostic result and the URL to this thread.
    Thankful People: zelus, maintenance
    • CommentAuthormaiden71
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    I was having issues with AppleTV (2nd gen) when trying to stream rented movies from iTunes. I researched online and there is a K-base article in Apple's support site that mentions DNS services as a possible problem. One theory is that it has something to do with Akamai and how they handle streaming.

Anyway, I put the Comcast DNS addresses back on my Time Capsule and the problem has cleared up.

Is there anything OpenDNS can do to address this problem? What is this about allowing AppleTV domain names? Shouldn't this info be front and center?

Thanks,
    Jon
  4.  permalink
    "One theory is that it has something to do with Akamai and how they handle streaming."

Yes, it would be how CDNs choose to advertise their authoritative NS records to different recursive DNS servers. They do it poorly, causing latency problems.

"Is there anything OpenDNS can do to address this problem? "

OpenDNS can only ask for better A record distribution, but not everyone is willing to cooperate. You can open a support ticket and let OpenDNS know about the issue.

"What is this about allowing AppleTV domain names?"

Bad assumptions and poor reasoning.

"Shouldn't this info be front and center?"

What info? The nonsense about allowing domains that aren't blocked in the first place? Maybe the mods could add a note the the forum sticky:
    "Whitelisting domains that are not blocked is pointless."
    Thankful People: rotblitz

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.