Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorbealer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    I had an issue pop up that has both me and my ISP tech support stumped. I have a home network with a Westell 7500 modem/router, which I've set to use OpenDNS. I've used OpenDNS successfully for quite some time. Recently, I've noticed that all computers on the network are able to get to sites that they shouldn't be able to access. On closer scrutiny, I found that the TCP/IP DNS server settings are being automatically set to 216.146.35.240 and 216.146.36.240, which resolves to http://dyn.com/. I have no known association with this company. Every time I try to set DNS to automatic, it reverts back to the above.

I thought it might be some sort of virus, so I ran Spybot, MalwareBytes, TDSSKiller, Eset, and finally Combo-Fix. A few things were found and removed, but the problem persisted. I enlisted help from a Spybot forum expert, but he couldn't see anything on the computer that shouldn't be there.

I've even flushed the DNS cache on the computers, but it hasn't helped.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on and how I would fix it?
  1.  permalink
    From what you describe, I would thing that the LAN/DHCP DNS settings on the router have been changed to give these addresses rather than the router's LAN IP.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    Check your computer if you have the "Dyn Updater" installed. Start its configuration, go to "Advanced", and uncheck "Enable Dyn Internet Guide on this PC".
    Thankful People: maintenance
    • CommentAuthorbealer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    After doing a C drive search for "Dyn" I was able to find a folder called Sendori within the Program Files directory. Googleing Sendori revealed that it "will update your computer's DNS settings to protect you from the latest threats". After activating the uninstall.exe file in that directory my DNS settings are no longer being held hostage. It is fixed!

Thank you all for your help.
    Thankful People: maintenance, ajcarpy2005
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    I see, that would have been from http://www.sendori.com/
    They seem to use the DynDNS infrastructure:
    ask-rdns1.dyndns.com [216.146.35.240]
    ask-rdns2.dyndns.com [216.146.36.240]
    And sure, you can't use this in parallel to OpenDNS. You can use only one 3rd party DNS service at any time.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.