Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorlosfrijoles
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012 edited
    I live in an apartment complex which uses a shared IP address for the entire complex (300+ individuals with one or more computers). In an effort to speed up my page access times (downloading works just fine...its the lookups that take forever) I decided to try using OpenDNS instead of the default DNS servers from the ISP. It worked spectacularly after I changed it and everything was working very fast until I decided to see how well Hulu would work. I went to hulu and lo and behold, someone had staked a claim on our IP address and left me a wonderful message stating "Remember who you are and that you are loved. -Mom & Dad". Clearly, someone's parents trying to keep their child on task at school (I live right next to a univeristy) and away from the more distracting or shady areas of the internet didn't realize that the IP address that they said their child was at is a shared IP and that they would be blocking sites for everyone. Is there anything I can do about this?

I had to switch my DNSs back and so I am back to slow lookup times, but I would really like to use OpenDNS. It doesn't seem right that someone can stake a claim to a shared IP when they aren't the owner and then people also using the shared IP can't do anything about it.
  1.  permalink
    You're correct. It isn't right/proper for anyone to stake a claim to a shared DNS.

You could attempt to educate the parents by clicking the admin contact on the block page; do not be shocked if they argue with you, or merely ignore your request.

I am uncertain whether contacting OpenDNS would be able to help, but perhaps you can contact support and provide the current IP.
    Thankful People: rotblitz, zelus
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    Beside what cindelicato said, I would like to encourage you to open a support ticket:
    https://dashboard.opendns.com/support/

Provide them with the IP address as seen from:
    nslookup myip.opendns.com. 208.67.222.222
    and they may exempt this IP address (range) from being able to be registered with a network. This is bad for "Mom & Dad", but good for everyone else. "Mom & Dad" may find another solution, e.g. with their router features or local software.
    Thankful People: cindelicato

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.