Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    So I sign up for OpenDNS and the email states "View stats about your network activity.
    Want to see which Web sites people on your network are visiting? Block problem sites in a single click? Just visit the Stats tab. (Note: it takes 24 hours for your stats to populate. Don't worry — they're coming!) "

From what I am reading in the forum - this is not possible - only domains are listed.
    Is this false advertising - or am I missing something.
  2.  permalink
    Websites are hosted at domains. You were looking for a full URL to a particular page, or something similar? No, that isn't possible. The Domain Name System only operates on domain names, so it is data based on these that you will get in your Stats - just as blocking is also domain-based.

As to what different people expect for the meaning of "website", the mileage certainly varies. OpenDNS filtering/reporting, being predicated entirely on DNS, can only be implemented against domains, which actually cover a lot more than just web sites.
  3.  permalink
    i know that - but the "welcome email" from OpenDNS - is FALSE as I provided you the statement they sent to me in an email and its miss leading.

so what is the proper procedure to list the domains as it is not working for me. thanks
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    "so what is the proper procedure to list the domains as it is not working for me."

Stats not working? Do you use OpenDNS at all? http://welcome.opendns.com/
    Is your IP address information current for your network at your dashboard?
    Do you have stats and logs enabled at your dashboard?

Did you find the way to the stats? https://dashboard.opendns.com/stats/all/start/

If yes to all, post the plain text output of the following command here:
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
  4.  permalink
    Hi, Yes I joined OpenDNS - hence the "false missleading" email they sent ...
    Yes to all the questions you asked.
    let me try what you suggest (command)

thansks
  5.  permalink
    I go to the Dashboard
    Click on STATS
    choose my network
    choose Total Requests for (my domain)
    and no report for 4-15??
    And I clearly was on the internet for a couple hours.

HELP

I put the command in, and it finds my router device and the IP address of the router... should I delete and redo by re-adding the domain? thanks
  6.  permalink
    The so-called false advertising claim you make is incorrect. When properly configured, the stats will provide a list of domains.

What's the output from the suggest command?
  7.  permalink
    as mentioned : "and it finds my router device and the IP address of the router"
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    And where is the output of that command? We unfortunately can't give any futher advice without seeing all of it. If you don't want to post it here, you still can open a support ticket:
    https://dashboard.opendns.com/support/

The command output should look like this (it is mine - German Windows):

nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

Nicht autorisierte Antwort:
    debug.opendns.com text =

"server 11.ams"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"flags 20 0 2fe 100d02040001401"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"id 242436"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"source 79.238.87.72:13214"

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.