Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I'm looking for a way to monitor the activity on my child's laptop without him knowing about it - I don't want to filter or block any sites - just monitor which sites are being visited for now. Will OpenDNS do this? Do I need the Home version or would the Basic version allow this?

My child's laptop is Windows 7 and my desktop is a Mac... Which version would I need to get?
  2.  permalink
    OpenDNS can display the sites whose DNS entry was looked-up from any computer on your network. You can optionally limit it on your child's computer alone, or on your router - either way, it will work anytime he uses it on your network. Using it on another person/place/school/McDonald's wifi without the owner's permission is considered impolite, may violate that owener's TOS, and would hardly be invisible.

It will show when the DNS lookup for the site was first accessed, but will not identify whether it was from device A or device B. It will not show how long the boy was on the site or what was done in particular.

You may wish to seek other service/applications if this does not meet your need.
  3.  permalink
    Thanks for the response! I'm a little confused still, though...! Sorry... Okay -to clarify, I'm talking about setting this up on my own, personal home network (not a wifi hotspot or anything). So if I enable OpenDNS Basic, for example, and set it to not filter/block any sites, will there be any indication on my child's computer that this monitoring is going on?

And then if I just view the stats from my Dashboard, would it show all sites visited by any computers in our home network? I don't need to see the actual content - but does it show what sites were visited?
  4.  permalink
    If there is no blocking, then the child would not see a block page, hence no indication OpenDNS is in use. The only thing the child might see is the Guide when looking up a non-existent domain. Whether the child associates that with you having set up OpenDNS, and knows or finds out that OpenDNS keeps Stats of domains looked up and offers the possibility of filtering, your guess is best. Otherwise, no.

It shows which domains were looked up, visited sites, everything that loads from a different domain than the main one for the site, domains hosting FTP, streaming, software and OS updates, etc. You cannot know from which computer the domains was looked up, however, unless you have OpenDNS configured only on that one computer. Otherwise you get all Stats from the entire network if the whole network uses OpenDNS.
    Thankful People: restored147
  5.  permalink
    Thanks!
    Thankful People: maintenance
  6.  permalink
    You are quite welcome.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012 edited
    If you don't want to filter/block and don't want NXDOMAIN redirection (an OpenDNS Guide in case a domain cannot be resolved), simply disable Typo Correction under Advanced Settings.

OpenDNS comes then up only in case your security settings are hit (phishing, rebind attacks, malware). You could disable this as well, but this is not recommended.
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    And you cannot tell which sites were visited, only which domains were looked up. Not the same thing, especially since some browsers look up all domains of all links on the current page (this is known as prefetching) in the hope of loading the next page faster, whatever that page may be.
    • CommentAuthoremtunc
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    Probably not the best way to go out about monitoring internet usage to be honest.

You will find many instances of your child visiting a web-sites where external, 3rd party calls are being made in the background to potentially 'inappropriate' domains.

Like @cindelicato mentioned, you probably want to look at specific monitoring tools.
  7.  permalink
    Thanks, everyone, for the feedback... I was able to at least get some idea (enough to know I had a problem) - so I've now also installed another tool that does say which sites were actually visited...

One more question about OpenDNS, though - is there any way to tell the date/time the sites were called? I can see no rhyme or reason to the list - is it in any kind of order or just random?! This is important in a way, though the other software will help - but when he's using his cell phone, I'm still having to rely on OpenDNS.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012
    "is there any way to tell the date/time the sites were called?"

Not called, but looked up. And no, the list of looked up domains are ordered by number of lookups / DNS requests. You can only narrow it down by selecting a single date or a date range.
    • CommentAuthorkopett
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012
    Thank for open Dns

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.