Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorhadjazi
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012
    last couple of days I was having trouble opening wikipedia and some other sites. when i remove family shield DNS from my router wikipedia opens again. some sites take forever to show and I need to refresh the page several times for it to load. Is anyone else having this problem ?

I live in Algeria and I use these DNS addresses 208.67.222.123 - 208.67.220.123 .
    I'm using a linksys wrt600n with dd-wrt firmware on it.

=)
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Being located in Algeria can be a problem with OpenDNS for sites using certain CDN providers.
    Post (copy & paste) the complete plain text output of the following commands here:
    (Trailing dots are part of the commands!)
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    tracert www.wikipedia.org   (or the Wikipedia subdomain you mostly use)
    Thankful People: hadjazi
    • CommentAuthorhadjazi
    i got this

"

Server: 192.168.100.1
    Address: 192.168.100.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    debug.opendns.com text = "server 2.lon"
    debug.opendns.com text = "flags 20 0 2f4 780000000000"
    debug.opendns.com text = "id 0"
    debug.opendns.com text = "source 41.200.76.94:44009"

Authoritative answers can be found from:

"

wikipedia is working again now, so I don't know what is what. but when i face the problem again i will use your debug and post here.

thanks for your fast reply mate.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    You're using the London/UK OpenDNS location. Also, it shouldn't matter if you use the FamilyShield addresses or the normal ones regarding sites can be reached or not, beside the filtering settings of FamilyShield, of course.

As I already mentioned, the problem can be merely with CDN providers, directing to more distant locations of webservers when using OpenDNS. These CDN providers use the location of the DNS service being used instead of the location of the end user.
    Thankful People: hadjazi
    • CommentAuthorhadjazi
    ok so if i got it right these CDN providers sometimes use my DNS to locate me instead of my IP address. and that could lead to conflict with OpendDNS which leads to not being able to view certain sites.

here in algeria my ISP (ANIS) uses google DNS most of the time, and sometimes a french DNS.

thanks roblltz for clarifying, Im just wondering if there is a solution or some way to trick these CDN providers if i ever face the problem again. surly while still using family shield.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012 edited
    "if i got it right these CDN providers sometimes use my DNS to locate me instead of my IP address. and that could lead to conflict with OpendDNS which leads to not being able to view certain sites."

This is not fully right. The CDN providers feed DNS services with IP address information depending on the DNS servers' geographical location in order to direct users to their content servers. The assumption here is that the end user uses a near DNS service.

However, in your case you are not using a nearby DNS service, but one in Northwest Europe. Therefore you get returned IP addresses where the CDN content servers are located around Northwest Europe, not North Africa. And this again causes higher latency, less speed and the risk of packet loss and all these things. And you face these problems you reported then.

"Im just wondering if there is a solution or some way to trick these CDN providers if i ever face the problem again"

There is no simple solution to this problem, only very complex ones. One solution would be to maintain a local hosts file where certain domains have more optimal IP address information assigned. This is not really practicable, because CDN providers seem to change IP addressing quite often, so this configuration is just too dynamic to hardcode into a static file.

Another option would be to run an own DNS server, where you route lookups for certain domains to another DNS service instead of OpenDNS. Because of the CDN providers dynamic configuration, this also requires maintenance quite often and is therefore not really convenient and practicable.

---

Btw, you most likely cannot use the enhanced features of the "normal" OpenDNS like filtering/blocking and stats, because you seem to be behind a shared public IP address and most likely also behind a proxy. Therefore it is fine that you use FamilyShield, because this comes with pre-defined filtering and works also in your case. I would think this is the reason you use FamilyShield anyway.

Routenverfolgung zu 41.200.76.94 über maximal 30 Abschnitte

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms t-kiste_701 [192.168.2.1]
    2 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms 217.0.119.34
    3 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms 87.190.161.142
    4 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms f-ea5-i.F.DE.NET.DTAG.DE [62.154.16.161]
    5 31 ms 31 ms 32 ms 62.156.128.18
    6 109 ms 109 ms 110 ms fawri.palermo6.pal.seabone.net [195.22.197.154]
    7 109 ms 109 ms 110 ms 41.201.167.5
    8 103 ms 103 ms 103 ms 196.20.78.98
    9 94 ms 93 ms 94 ms 192.168.250.38 *** private IP address range ***
    10 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
    11 158 ms 156 ms 155 ms 10.150.50.25 *** private IP address range ***
    12 144 ms 147 ms 146 ms 10.15.50.5 *** private IP address range ***
    13 123 ms 123 ms 125 ms 10.15.31.2 *** private IP address range ***
    14 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
    15 153 ms 154 ms 153 ms 10.10.31.1 *** private IP address range ***
    16 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
    • CommentAuthorhadjazi
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012
    ok now I fully comprehend my situation. and it is true my ISP offers only dynamic IP. I will be changing my ISP once one of them start using fiber optics instead of crappy and slow copper DSL phone lines. once I get static IP with a reasonable internet speed I will be able to do many things I always wanted to try.

thanks again.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012
    "it is true my ISP offers only dynamic IP"

Dynamic IP addresses are not a problem as long as these are dedicated ones, temporarily for you only, not shared. In your case this seems to be a shared IP address and even located somewhere in a "private" (the ISP's) network.

That said, for OpenDNS to work a static IP address is not needed. However, with a dynamic IP address you need to run a DDNS updater to keep your changing IP address information updated at OpenDNS.
    • CommentAuthorhadjazi
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    "with a dynamic IP address you need to run a DDNS updater to keep your changing IP address information updated at OpenDNS."

I do have a DDNS setup in my router. I use it to access my local netowrk when i'm at work. I don't think I understand the relation between DDNS and OpenDNS or FamilyShield.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    "I don't think I understand the relation between DDNS and OpenDNS or FamilyShield."

DDNS: This is a DNS hosting service providing a hostname resolving to your IP address. Therefore "you must keep this service updated with your IP address information". Else it cannot associate your hostname with your IP address which is *the* prerequisite for being able to reach your network from outside.

OpenDNS: This is a recursive DNS service to answer your DNS lookups. If you can use the enhanced features like configurable filtering/blocking and stats, "you must keep this service updated with your IP address information". Only this is what the two different services DDNS and OpenDNS have in common. And this IP address information is needed to associate your settings with you. OpenDNS recognizes you by your DNS lookups coming from your IP address.

OpenDNS FamilyShield: This is a recursive DNS service to answer your DNS lookups. If you use the FamilyShield addresses for your DNS lookups, then you have pre-defined filtering/blocking with no intention to configure it. Therefore you do *not* have to keep this service updated with your IP address information.

Clearer now?

Also, unlike I stated before, if you can reach your network from outside, you should also be able to use the "normal" OpenDNS, with dashboard settings and self-configured filtering/blocking and stats.
    • CommentAuthorhadjazi
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    ok ^^ I do know the difference between them, I just misunderstand you thinking I can somehow link familyshield with other DDNS provider. you were actually talking about DDNS service in OpenDNS. =D

cheers mate

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.