Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorsummerman
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    Is it possible to block Netflix?
    • CommentAuthorsummerman
    Sorry. I should have started this under Domain blocking.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentAuthorsummerman
    I looked into some of the threads. I have my setting to block movies which I gather Netflix is part of that set up and it is not being blocked. I just logged into Netflix and got right in. Sports Illustrated gets blocked but not Netflix.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012 edited
    "I looked into some of the threads."

Also this? http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=9681#Item_1

"I have my setting to block movies which I gather Netflix is part of that set up and it is not being blocked."

Are you using OpenDNS at all? http://welcome.opendns.com/
    If yes, post (copy & paste) the complete plain text output of the following command:
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
  1.  permalink
    Yes, something else is wrong as Netflix would be blocked by your settings. It is easy to check: http://domain.opendns.com/netflix.com

You also had to flush caches after setting up or changing filtering settings, and keep you IP updated. The diagnostics rotblitz recommends will let us know about this.

Further, there should be no error shown from the updater or at your Dashboard.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthorsummerman
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012
    Yes I am using OpenDNS. I clicked on the link and it said I was using it.

Pardon my ignorance I am a older computer user who wants to learn but some of this stuff is beyond me so far. Where do I copy and paste the command? nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com
    • CommentAuthorsummerman
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012
    Another question related to this one. Some of my kids unplug the router from the computer downstairs so they can plug it directly into the TV in order to watch idiot stuff on Netflix. It seems that if the signal is coming from the wireless dish on the roof into the router Netflix should be blocked. Or am I thinking wrong on this.

The fastest way to fix this Netflix thing would be to cut the cable. I have some nice wire cutters. :-)
  2.  permalink
    At the command prompt is where you enter commands. Type
    cmd
    in the Run box in the Start Menu (or programs search box for Vista and 7 if you don't see the Run box).

This brings up the command window. You should be apble to paste the command in with the mouse.

To copy from the command window, you may need to use Mark or Select All, and then Copy, from the context menu (click on the upper left corner of the window in the title bar where the icon is). Some of these commands will be under Edit.

Yes, a lineman's pliers are always handy. :bigsmile:

The problem here may simply be that once the router is disconnected or powered off, you get a new IP address when it is plugged back in. The TV would hardly be running an updater to update you public IP to your OpenDNS Dashboard.

However, there is this: "the wireless dish on the roof". This is for your ISP? Who is your ISP? Satellite and fully wireless internet tend not to use the DNS you have chosen, and also use caching proxies.

If it is the case that you cannot use OpenDNS (we'll see from your answers), you may have the option to block domains or URLs directly in your router firewall. So do tell us the make, model, and revision of the router or gateway you are using.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012
    "Where do I copy and paste the command? nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com"

No, it was "nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.". You forgot the trailing dot.
    • CommentAuthorsummerman
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012
    Here are a few things then.

1. The text from the command prompt line I ran.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\StevenD>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    primary name server = localhost
    responsible mail addr = nobody.invalid
    serial = 1
    refresh = 600 (10 mins)
    retry = 1200 (20 mins)
    expire = 604800 (7 days)
    default TTL = 10800 (3 hours)
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    debug.opendns.com text =

"server 3.lax"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"flags 20 0 2fe 7f40000014c3"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"id 1635231"
    debug.opendns.com text =

"source 66.29.190.33:12019"

C:\Users\StevenD>

3. Yes I my ISP is wireless from Utah Broad Band.

4. My router is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400v2.

5. I do get a site is blocked domain warning for Sports Illustrated that says it is powered by OpenDNS.

I sure appreciate all the help and response I am getting on this even though it is taking me a long time to respond back.
  3.  permalink
    As it appears that you are using OpenDNS, the only remaining issues are:

- Your IP is kept updated. As I said above, 'The problem here may simply be that once the router is disconnected or powered off, you get a new IP address when it is plugged back in. The TV would hardly be running an updater to update you public IP to your OpenDNS Dashboard.'

But if you don't run an updater anyway, whenever your IP changes you may see a failure to block in your browser as well.

- If your Dashboard has an error displayed, you may be using another person's settings, such as they block a category containing Sports Illustrated, but not Netflix. Check this. (You clearly have filtering, it simply may not be yours.)

- Utah Broadband proxies some requests, such as for Netflix.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.