Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorkorn12
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012
    Hey there,

although I love the concept of OpenDNS, I'm having some issues:

1) Movies Filter filters everything from harmless Movie Database Websites to Websites that offer streams of copyrighted movie material.
    => Whitelisting doesn't work and proves to be way too time-consuming.
    => I don't want to ban the use of legal movie streams!

2) I only have the ability to put 25 domains on my blacklist!
    => Atm I'm trying to figure out how to find a solution based on moderate filtering and manual blacklisting.. 25 entries are way too few.

3) 1) applies to Television as well.

What can I do?

best regards,
    k12
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012
    OpenDNS cannot block based on web content type, but only based on domain name, because this is the only information they see when you send your DNS lookups to them.

The movie domains you want especially blocked may be categorized with additional categories anyway. So block these instead of movies in general.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012
    >>What can I do?<<

When you need to blacklist more than 25 domains, you really need to do it inside your own network. Not only is it faster, it is saving network bandwidth that we all have to share.

The best and easiest way to blacklist domains is to run your own DNS server, such as the free ISC BIND, and configure it to return 127.0.0.1 on all the domains you wanted banned and to forward the queries for all other domains to OpenDNS.

That is how the Internet was actually designed to run, where EVERY network runs its own DNS server. Alas, Microsoft in its intention to dumb computers down does not include a DNS server in its operating systems by default and does not even teach its users what DNS is and how and why they should run their own server. All other operating systems on this planet do include a DNS server and install it by default. Well, maybe except for those new handheld devices, but operating systems for actual computers do.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.