Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorshwick2
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012 edited
    I have a gateway running Ubuntu10.04LTS32/Bind9 and a client dual booting windows 7-64/Ubuntu 10.04LTS32.

I have a problem where the client has difficulty accessing a specific url, archive.ubuntu.com. Unfortunately this happens to be the update url for Ubuntu.

The Windows partition on the client can ping archive.ubuntu.com but the name resolves after 30 seconds.

The Ubuntu partition cannot ping archive.ubuntu.com the lookup fails.

I can ping archive.ubuntu.com from the ubuntu gateway without problems.

Based on this I think the gateway is causing the problem due to an incorrect locally defined version of archive.ubuntu.com, which after it fails to resolv after 30 seconds turns to the bind server for a successful lookup.

To find the answer, I'm looking for the difference between a local dns lookup on Ubuntu and a remote dns lookup. The answer could also be in bind.

Before I start pasting config files are there any ideas?

Keep in mind this setup was working flawlessly for 6 months resolving everything. Only now that I've booted into my 2nd partition, Ubuntu, did I realize that I couldn't resolv the update archive names, including ca.archive.ubuntu.com, us.archive.ubuntu.com and archive.ubuntu.com.
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    Ping isn't for name resolution, and uses multiple resolution methods, so there is always the chance of using something other than DNS, and the time it takes is due to attempting to get an ICMP response. Try dig instead.

I get the same IPs no matter what the subdomain of
    archive.ubuntu.com I look up.

archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.184
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.188
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.189
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.192
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.193
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.88.22
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.88.23
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.88.25
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.88.26
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.88.28
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.88.29
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.151
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.152
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.153
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.154
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.155
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.156
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.176
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.177
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.179
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.180
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.181
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.182
    archive.ubuntu.com. 246 IN A 91.189.92.183

If it is a problem with a bad local cache in the gateway, power it off for a couple minutes until the capacitors fully discharge then power back on and try again. Or manually clear the bind server cache. If you have manually defined a local IP for archive.ubuntu.com somewhere in bind, remove the definition.

If dig takes a long time to resolve the domain, or to connect after name resolution, there may be something wrong at the server you reach, or you may be experiencing suboptimal routing leading to a timeout. Do
    dig -t txt which.opendns.com
    (Assuming you are using OpenDNS here) And paste the result here. What is your general geographic location?

You may also want to traceroute archive.ubuntu.com

edit: All the servers listed here http://www.robtex.com/dns/archive.ubuntu.com.html#records are reported as being in the UK, so it probably doesn't matter which IP you use if you want to add an entry to the hosts file or traceroute one of the IPs.
    • CommentAuthorshwick2
    I've already restarted bind to clear its cache.
    I didn't manually define archive.ubuntu.com for bind, in fact I grepped the entire system for the string.
    Dig can't find it from the client,

ubusr123@ubusr123-desktop:~$ dig archive.ubuntu.com
    ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> archive.ubuntu.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

When I ran dig from the server I got the proper response, a list of all the server ips. Bind is caching the result because dig now takes 0ms.

Thats why I think it's a local problem on the gateway. Ugh.... time for files...
    • CommentAuthorshwick2
    gateway logs

cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 GlaDOS

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 127.0.0.1

cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
    # /etc/nsswitch.conf
    #
    # Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
    # If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
    # `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd: compat
    group: compat
    shadow: compat

hosts: files dns
    networks: files

protocols: db files
    services: db files
    ethers: db files
    rpc: db files

netgroup: nis
  1.  permalink
    Your gateway probably isn't at 127.0.0.1. The address of your DNS server (gateway) should be listed there in resolv.conf as well. If dhclient isn't running, the address won't be added automatically (i.e., in a statically addressed network).
    • CommentAuthorshwick2
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012 edited
    Thats the gateway's resolv.conf, I'm telling it to use bind for its dns lookups.

Bind is hosted on 127.0.0.1 and 10.11.12.1 (the lan). I wanted the lookups to be consistent between the server and client hence I also tell the server to use it.

Thanks for the help but I'm going to manually add archive.ubuntu.com to the ubuntu client's hosts file.

If Ubuntu wants to fuck with me and add an outdated archive server resolution somewhere in the OS I'll patch it up with duct tape.

GG
  2.  permalink
    Oh, so what about the Ubuntu client workstation? Does it have the appropriate configurations in resolv.conf and dhclient.conf?

You can have a look at https://store.opendns.com/setup/operatingsystem/ubuntu if it helps, but note that this is an instruction for configuring the external resolver addresses on the client, which you would replace with your internal DNS server address on which you had already configured the forwarders.

Certainly, adding some of those IPs for the domain in the hosts file should work. Regardless, best wishes in getting Ubuntu to behave properly for you immediately.

You may also want to see some of the notes in the thread here:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/29071/apt-get-update-cannot-find-ubuntu-servers
    and
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/48025/what-to-do-when-cant-update-anymore-with-apt-get
    the second of which might explain why you'd have an issue if updating a deprecated LTS version - they may change the server names. 12 LTS is current.(Although it seems the domains which 10 is looking for are still live, if 10 is actually attempting to reach archive.ubuntu.com or a subdomain thereof.)

Again, best wishes for a speedy resolution (uh, no pun intended).
    Thankful People: shwick2
    • CommentAuthorshwick2
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    :<

ya resolv.conf dhclient are setup right

and it looks like 10.04 is good until 2015

so its an anomaly, which I will fight with another anomaly, until my network explodes in upon itself
  3.  permalink
    :bigsmile:

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.