Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjbcartjr
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Hello - I am brand new to opendns but have had relative success with all of the initial setup - until it came to my ipad.

1. the ipad is wifi only, so no 3g issues to deal with.
    2. I have 2 browsers: safari and puffin
    3. Opendns works in safari but NOT puffin

I am at a loss as to why it's working in safari but not puffin.

I've reset the cache (even uninstalled puffin and reinstalled.

Any help is welcome - thx in advance. (I searched in vain for a similar discussion so I apologize if one exists that I didn't see already)
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012 edited
    Some browsers simply ignore the system's settings (for DNS and otherwise) and do what they want, e.g. use another DNS service, likely the browser vendor's one. Or they use the browser vendor's web caching servers.

For puffin it is said: "With the help of cloud servers, Puffin Web Browser brings the desktop web browsing experience to tablets and smartphones."
    This says it all...
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthorjbcartjr
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    I see. So basically, I'm out of luck with Puffin as it relates to opendns?

I notice that actually uses a different IP. (When I log into the opendns site from safari, it shows the same IP address as my pc, but when I log in from puffin, it's a different ip altogether) I assume that is the issue.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012 edited
    "So basically, I'm out of luck with Puffin as it relates to opendns?"

I'm not an intimate expert regarding this browser. I was just searching the web for information, because you asked. I didn't know it before. You may do the same to find information about how one can make it stop using those "cloud servers". But then the speed will also go, and Puffin will behave like any other browser.

"when I log in from puffin, it's a different ip altogether) I assume that is the issue."

Not really. The problem is that Puffin doesn't use the setting of your device, so it doesn't use OpenDNS at all for the DNS lookups. This would be the main prerequisite to make everything else work.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.