Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorbrian_e
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    I am having trouble trying to get Web filtering to work and I think I have narrowed down the caused to the IP address not updating properly. For example: I rebooted my router to change my dynamic IP address and then checked on my dashboard and the numbers matched the ones shown in the GUI on my router. However, on clicking on the settings tab on this Website, my new IP address had a little update icon next to it and below that my previous IP address was showing greyed out. I checked Website filtering and sure enough, nothing was being blocked. I then clicked on the update symbol to change the IP address to the correct values, checked Web content filtering again and this time, it was working.

I have checked the advanced settings for my network and all the tick boxes are checked. Also, OpenDNS updater tells me that it is updating my IP addresses (in the above example, it said that it had updates x minutes ago and displayed a matching IP address to that shown on the OpenDNS Website). However, the OpenDNS Updater history shows the following, which obviously contains no recent history, so it would appear that somewhere in the chain, my IP address is not being updated when it changes. By the way, I have checked my firewall and nothing is being blocked from my end:-
    31.52.45.110 2012-05-05 09:46
    31.52.45.110 2012-05-05 09:05
    1.52.44.123 2011-11-03 21:19
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Yes, obviously your updates are not successful.

The more detailed log is in "%APPDATA%\OpenDNS Updater\log.txt". Open this with WordPad, UltraEdit, Notepad++ or such a program. Notepad doesn't display it orderly, because it is in Unix format.

Things to be considered:
    - Do not check "Send Dns-O-Matic updates" if you do not really use DNS-O-Matic.
    - Ensure your e-mail address, password and network label are entered correctly, case-sensitive.
    - You must be logged in to Windows with the user ID having installed the Updater originally.

If it doesn't work with the official Updater, use http://updater.marc-hoersken.de/ instead.
    • CommentAuthorbrian_e
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have reinstalled OpenDNS Updater and it's working OK now.
  1.  permalink
    I also have started having update problems. It works for a while and then stops when my IP address changes/ Updating client appears to try to do the right thing - it just isn't effective at communicating the new IP address. Checking the log file indicated I noticed these issues:-

sent ip update for user 'insertyouraccountname@here', response: 'nohost' url: /nic/update?token=ABCACC7012B8D45F251B1313A60B8D04&v=2&hostname=Home host: updates.opendns.com

as opposed to earlier messages in the log that returned:-

sent ip update for user 'insertyouraccountname@here', response: 'good 2.96.247.16' url: /nic/update?token=ABCACC7012B8D45F251B1313A60B8D04&v=2&hostname=home host: updates.opendns.com

(BTW - email address and token manually mangled as I don't know what they provide access too!)

I too have reinstalled the updater - but it still doesn't seem to be generating the "correct" response

Anyone got an idea?
    Graham
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Sure, the "nohost" error means usually that the network label at the website didn't match the one in the Updater. For the Updater this is currently "Home", but when it still was working, it was "home".

Check in the Updater and at https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/ to get your network label synchronized. The network label is case-sensitive.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.