Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortigana99
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    I have just started using Google Chrome as my principal browser (Mac version). My question is this: Is there anything special I need to do to configure Chrome to work with Open DNS? For example, in the Preferences I am given the following options:

* Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors

* Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar

* Predict network actions to improve page load performance

* Enable phishing and malware protection

At the moment I have disabled all of the above except the phishing and malware protection. Should all of the above be disabled or may I enable one or more of them without compromising or affecting my Open DNS service? TIA.
    • CommentAuthorxecrav
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012 edited
    From my experience they don't interfere with OpenDNS. I've all of them enabled and OpenDNS works as it should.

OpenDNS does offer Malware/botnet protection, phishing protection, as well as, domain-typo corrections and smartcache. These settings are found under "Dashboard --> Settings"

So you have the option to have not only OpenDNS protecting you but also Google.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    "At the moment I have disabled all of the above except the phishing and malware protection."

This would be my recommendation too, at least for the Windows version, after what has been reported here already.
    See e.g. http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=14078
  1.  permalink
    I can't imagine why anyone would ever want prefetching/prediction enabled anyway.
    • CommentAuthorxecrav
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    «Quote»
    According to technical details Google published Tuesday, Pinkie Pie's odyssey began by exploiting a bug in a prerendering engine that helps Chrome work faster by gathering clues about webpages before they're loaded.
    ---
    Anatomy of a hack: 6 separate bugs needed to bring down Google browser (Updated) | Ars Technica
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/05/anatomy-of-a-hack-6-separate-bugs-needed-to-bring-down-google-browser/
    «/Quote»

I'm no expert but I would assume that those, like me, who had one or a combination of the google chrome options discussed here were vulnerable to such complex hack.

Anyways, basically I'm just agreeing with maintenance, as well as, telling myself why enable those features in the first place. :|
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    "why enable those features in the first place."

I'm afraid they are enabled by default, and users tend to not change defaults...
  2.  permalink
    Aye, you have to disable them. At least you can disable them in a GUI setting in browsers like Chrome and SeaMonkey, unlike FireFox. :neutral:

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.