Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthoryoast
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    I am a BT customer.
    On a BT-Homehub you can enable use of dynamic dns. In the form you can set host to all.dnsomatic.com, but there is no server field, so you cannot set updates.dnsomatic.com. You can only select from pre-configured options (DynDNS, NOIP and DtDNS) since NOIP has free accounts I am looking into the possibility of using NOIP to be automitically updated by the router, and opendns getting the IP from NOIP.
    Is that possible?

I really need to get the dns updated (without any client software) by the router.
  1.  permalink
    No. I don't think DNS-O-Matic takes updates from other services either, so I don't think you could swing it that way.

Considering there is an option for all.dnsomatic.com, you should ask BT why you can't actually send updates to DNS-O-Matic. Sounds like a bug.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthoryoast
    I am aware it is possible to use another router than the BT-Homehub, but it is not bad and it came for free..... the only problems so far are that BT blocks you from filling out your own DNS-servers in the router, and that BT does not allow yout to fill out your own host,server,username,pwd etc to pass on to a dns-server.

Hm. Maybe I'll be forced to get a different router (DD-WRT either on a tplink or asus ) and hope for no unexpected surprises.
  2.  permalink
    What sort of unexpected surprises?

Just get a plain router, and chain it behind the gateway.

"BT blocks you from filling out your own DNS-servers in the router,"

Yes, this is well-known, and it is something you wouldn't want to do if you had additional services aside from internet.

"BT does not allow yout to fill out your own host,server,username,pwd etc to pass on to a dns-server."

These things are never passed to a DNS server. My point was that if they have the option to assign all.dnsomatic.com for DDNS updates, they are missing the other half of what is needed to configure updates to dnsomatic. Which seems like a bit of an oversight, and something they should rectify. Or remove the option for all.dnsomatic.com as a hostname, unless there is some way to update dnsomatic from one of the other services.
    • CommentAuthoryoast
    Hi Maintenance,

Thanks for your feedback.

"What sort of unexpected surprises?" Any kind where standard settings don't work because BT makes their own services work, but not de-facto standards.

"Just get a plain router, and chain it behind the gateway." Do you mean the fibre-optic-modem acting as WAN to both routers (BT Homehub as LAN1 and Newrouter as LAN2) or do you mean putting the added router on one ethernet/rj45 of the BT-Homehub?

"Yes, this is well-known, and it is something you wouldn't want to do if you had additional services aside from internet.". I disagree that you would want to do that.

"These things are never passed to a DNS server. My point was that if they have the option to assign all.dnsomatic.com for DDNS updates, they are missing the other half of what is needed to configure updates to dnsomatic. Which seems like a bit of an oversight, and something they should rectify. Or remove the option for all.dnsomatic.com as a hostname, unless there is some way to update dnsomatic from one of the other services. "
    1. I should have typed "BT does not allow yout to fill out your own host,server,username,pwd etc to pass on to any dynamic dns-server."
    2. The "host" field is a text-box where you can type in anything you like. The "service" field has only three options (dyndns, noip, dtdns) and the software uses this to pick both the server and the type of communication.

I think BT should change and allow us to pick services and compete on quality on a per-service basis.

just my2c.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "Do you mean the fibre-optic-modem acting as WAN to both routers (BT Homehub as LAN1 and Newrouter as LAN2) or do you mean putting the added router on one ethernet/rj45 of the BT-Homehub?"

It's your choice, what ever works best for you or at all.
    • CommentAuthoryoast
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    Hi Rotblitz.

When maintenance mentioned "Just get a plain router, and chain it behind the gateway." I was hoping he could tell me 1. put one router behind the other (not sure that is possible with HH3), 2. put them beside one another (the fibre cable modem that BT supply has 2 ports marked LAN1 and LAN2), or maybe another way that I do not understand.
  3.  permalink
    It would hardly matter. If it doesn't work to use a router behind the HH3, by all means, connect it to the LAN 2 port of the modem and connect all your computers to that. If you are going to buy one, do make sure it can be configured as you need so as to avoid a return trip to the shop. Many older routers (maybe you or someone you know has a disused on laying about) are more configurable than the newer ones (because the new ones are "zero-config" and "user-friendly").

I had no idea that you had two networking devices already, and can't imagine why BT's latest HomeHub incarnation would require another piece of equipment to connect to their network. (Then again, I can't grok a lot of things ISPs do.)

To address some earlier points,
    "2. The "host" field is a text-box where you can type in anything you like."
    So, you entered all.dnsomatic.com, the field was not pre-populated with this as one of the options? I had the overall impression that it was. I get it now.

>>"Yes, this is well-known, and it is something you wouldn't want to do if you had additional services aside from internet.".

>"I disagree that you would want to do that."

You wouldn't want to do that as no ISP, of which I am aware, which provides also VOIP and/or IPTV, allows for changing of DNS addresses without breaking your phone and telly. Because their DNS servers are right on top of you, so to speak. No other could be closer, with less latency, and with the A records for the services in their private network.
    • CommentAuthoryoast
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited
    Hi Maintenance,

Thanks for your answers.

Yes, BT's Infinity come with their own cable-modem called openreach.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/ if you are interested. Though I get the impression you can only use the LAN2 port after "unlocking" the huawei device. http://www.psidoc.com/showthread.php/761-Hacking-BT-Infinity-HG612-Openreach-Modem which I may not be prepared to do :-( .

BT could still allow users to set opendns servers for the LAN. the SIP and other services could just be pre-configured to use their own DNS.

cheers,
    J
  4.  permalink
    So, the HH3 doesn't have a port to which you connect computers? It must. This is what you'd connect another router to. - I just checked, and it sure looks like it has four Ethernet ports. Of course, you wouldn't use the wireless on the HH, but on the second router, if you have wireless devices.

"BT could still allow..."

Which is why you should address BT on any of the issues you've raised which are BT-dependent here. Some issues are, in fact, completely firmware (software) dependent. Frequently, the plain manufacturer version of a device will have such capabilities which ISPs disable in their versions. Others are hardware-related, and the ISP sees no economic reason to change what they do. (Even the firmware config options are disabled to cut down on support issues, as many users play with things they don't understand, and neither do the first and second tier support personnel.)
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012
    “Possible to receive changes in IP from NO-IP and feed that too opendns?”

No, for a simple reason. To do that, OpenDNS (or DNS-o-Matic) would have to poll NO-IP every five minutes or so, which would be a waste of Internet bandwidth for everyone and would probably annoy NO-IP as well.

So, essentially, to make it work, you would have to let OpenDNS know when your IP has changed anyway. And as long as you are doing that, you can just tell OpenDNS what your IP has changed to.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthorbrian_e
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012
    I can confirm that the TP-Link TL-1043ND works well with BT Infinity Fibre Optic services. It also gets a full pass mark at "Shields Up!", whereas the HH3 fails since one of the ports is not stealthed. The only difference in setting up is that you have to provide your user name and password for your BT account, which you don't have to do with the supplied HH3. I'm getting about 64Mbps download and 15Mbps upload speeds with this router (the upload speeds are actually almost double what I was getting with the HH3).

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.