Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthormburton413
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    I am trying to find something to block inappropriate content from the web browser of a Nook Color. B&N hasn't allowed/developed any type of filter yet, but I discovered Open DNS during a web search. Will Open DNS block such content from my Nook? I am hesitant to buy anything without first understanding whether or not it will work.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    "Will Open DNS block such content from my Nook?"

Maybe, likely. OpenDNS as DNS service can block based on domain names, because this is all they see from you. If your device uses your own network for internet access, then OpenDNS is for you. OpenDNS is not good for your devices in other networks.

"I am hesitant to buy anything without first understanding whether or not it will work."

In case you're a home user, you don't need to buy anything. It's free.
    So, start with the free version to see if this is sufficient or if you need even "more bells and whistles".
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    Thanks, but I tried the free version several months ago and it never even worked on the computers in my house, let alone the mobile devices. And since there is no customer support for the freee version I had no way of understanding why. My hope is that maybe if I pay that at least someone might respond to email requests for help.
  1.  permalink
    "And since there is no customer support for the freee version I had no way of understanding why. "

There certainly is. Open a support ticket. Or describe the issue here.

If you opened a ticket and did not receive even the initial auto-response, then you are checking the wrong email account, or the email is going into a spam/junk folder in your email client or your webmail interface, or you have a mail provider like Yahoo which dumps mail from entities who produce a lot of mail traffic.

You are always encouraged to open another ticket, and note that you have not received responses to past inquiries. They will take another route and give you another way to communicate (usually a direct employee email address, as these do not seem to suffer the same fate).

If you like, go ahead and set up OpenDNS for your network or Nook or a test computer -whatever-, tell us how you set up and where it fails.

Items #1 through #3, in particular, may be of some help to you here:
    https://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=11313
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    Thanks. I do have Yahoo (or flash.net, which is an old holdover), so maybe that's why I never got a response. I'll try your tips and see if things work.
    Thankful People: maintenance

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.