Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorsgraham1
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012
    This morning, outbound e-mail to most domains was failing. GMAIL, AOL, LIVE, etc. They all failed with what appeared to be resolution issues.

#554 5.4.4 SMTPSEND.DNS.NonExistentDomain; nonexistent domain ##

As soon as we stopped using OpenDNS for external resolution, the issue went away. Did the system have any hiccups this morning? I checked around and didn't see anything posted about any issues.

Thank you.
    Thankful People: Thomas, tjsnow
    • CommentAuthorlamtec
    Ok, have you figured out why? We've used OpenDNS successfully for years, and this started last week with us. I did same this morning, removed them from forwarders, and viola' it started to work again.
    Thankful People: Thomas
    • CommentAuthorrpdsml
    I have experience the same issue. Outbound email bouces back with "Unrouteable address". If I switch from OpenmDNS as the primary DNS on our Instagate all mails works just fine. I was thinking there is a rout issue maybe due to the storm Beryl that just hit north Florida and Geogia this weekend?
    Thanks, ML
    • CommentAuthorsgraham1
    We have no idea why. Like you, we have used OpenDNS for years without a single issue.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    ...and nobody raised a support ticket, right? :devil:

If you expect any useful response from us users here in this user to user forum, you must be far more specific, e.g. examples of e-mail addresses (at least the part after the @) you're trying to send to.

This is your only chance here if you don't find anything at http://system.opendns.com/
    • CommentAuthorThomas
    I had the same issue on my servers. It seemed to happen throughout the weekend too in little spurts. How do we know if the issue has been resolved? I added google's DNS forwarders to my DNS server additionally to try and circumvent the issue.
    • CommentAuthorrpdsml
    Support Ticket has been raised. No reply yet.
    • CommentAuthorbsitko
    Happened to us as well. Nearly 4 days with gmail, yahoo, comcast mail not going through. I've dropped OPENDNS because of it as 4 days of lost mail is totally unacceptable.
    • CommentAuthorcvananda
    Same issue here with tons of clients using OpenDNS. I opened a ticket and will update this thread once I hear back.
  1.  permalink
    We opened a ticket as well. Has anyone heard anything on any of this yet? We changed our forwarders over to a google dns server 8.8.8.8 and got gmail.com and others cached for the time being. We then changed back to OpenDNS as we do not want to leave our networks unprotected. One of them is a school and it is critical that it be protected.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012 edited
    The ones not having received an automatic ticket confirmation with a reference number may check their spam folders, also and especially via webmail interface. Big mail providers tend to treat mail from high volume domains as spam. Some mail providers dispose it in hidden spam folders, some even discard mail silently...
    • CommentAuthorBrent
    I'm also experiencing this issue.

I opened a ticket. In the meantime I changed my forwarders to use Google (8.8.8.8) which circumvents the filters that are in place.
    • CommentAuthormalumbaugh
    also having the problem - removed OpenDNS -
    • CommentAuthortrcooper
    Add me to the list. I DID open a ticket. Gotta give them 72 hours to respond.

Like others, I've been using them for YEARS without a problem. I'm cutting them some slack, but at some point I have to make a change. (one I don't want to)

--EDIT--

Brian posted below AND sent me an email saying all is well again. THANKS BRIAN!
    • CommentAuthorbhelms
    Same issue here. Using Google at the moment. Facebook users are celebrating as I type this.
  2.  permalink
    Administrator
    We are investigating this situation right now. For those who are experiencing it can you please run the following command and either put your output here or send an email to contact@opendns.com and include "ATTN Brian Hartvigsen" in the subject:

nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com 208.67.222.222
    nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com 208.67.220.220

Thanks!
    Thankful People: rotblitz, zelus, trcooper
    • CommentAuthorshamonkie
    Since 8:47am Eastern Time this morning we've received the following for YMail and Gmail external recipients:

#554 5.4.4 SMTPSEND.DNS.NonExistentDomain; nonexistent domain ##

I just spent the last 4.5 hours troubleshooting our mail server, internal DNS servers and routing configurations and had our email server offline several times and now I finally find this issue!

I'm going to try switching everything over to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if this resolves the problem.
    • CommentAuthorshamonkie
    "9.ash" and "5.ash"
    • CommentAuthorshamonkie
    Thanks Brian H.and OpenDNS for prompt support and resolution. Everything is working fine now. They actually called me on my mobile in response to this forum post. Much appreciated.

Regards,
    Bergie
  3.  permalink
    Administrator
    We have identified 1 server in Ashburn that was experiencing abnormal behaviors on some MX lookups. We have pulled that server and have our teams looking into what caused this behavior. I have confirmed with shamonkie that MX records are resolving properly for him at this time and expect they should be for everyone else who was affected.

This was not something impacting all OpenDNS users or all servers so most users will have seen no effect what so ever. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at the information above.
    • CommentAuthorshamonkie
    Confirmed OpenDNS MX routes are working again. Thanks!
    Thankful People: trcooper
    • CommentAuthorBrent
    We are still experiencing issues.

Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
    which.opendns.com text =

"5.ash"

Server: resolver2.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.220.220

Non-authoritative answer:
    which.opendns.com text =

"9.ash"
  4.  permalink
    Administrator
    I am reaching out to Brent as I've had no additional reports of failure at this time. I'll post an update as soon as I have more information.
    Thankful People: zelus, Brent, Dexter Albright
    • CommentAuthorrpdsml
    Brian, Seems that everything is fine here for the moment. Thanks for fixing the issue.
    • CommentAuthorwsly
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    Just installed OPENDNS today and have been unable to send email. My ISP is roadrunner.com in Lancaster, CA. Everything else seems to work OK.
    Don't know what addition info you need, but at this point I'm ready to pul the plug on OPENDNS.

wsly
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    This is a user to user forum. Better open a support ticket.
  5.  permalink
    What addition info would be what was asked for upthread, and sent in a support ticket.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.