Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorpapertrail
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012
    my question is simple, can you please add a block advertising category? i would be happy to pay for the VIP service if it has this one feature.

i understand you make money through opendns using the guide ads with yahoo search (btw its awful should seriously consider google searches) but it does not mean you can't block all the other ads around the entire net.

please consider this.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Do you intend to block ads with OpenDNS? Ok, if you want to drastically slow down your surfing experience, go that path!

You may read:
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=8676
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=7784
    so what if it slows down surfing i'm on fibre optics & i doubt it would make that much of a difference... i think they should still include the option & just put a note stating 'may slow down browsing experience find out more...' PROBLEM SOLVED.

they should include this as a category, tired of hearing the excuses i have seen other providers having this feature...

http://www.adbarricade.com/
    http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-community/english-version/

but i like opendns which is why i'd rather not move.
    found something for my dd-wrt router

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ad_blocking

so looks like i don't need it in opendns now... but i would still like it to be an option in opendns
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012 edited
    I see, you didn't thoroughly read the threads I linked to, especially not 7784.

Summarizing: Blocking ads with any online service is not the way to go, because it generally increases your traffic in comparison to even not blocking ads at all. One must be a fool (fooldns? :wink:) to do blocking with an online (DNS) service, because you have to wait for servers' responses, no matter what your internet connection speed is. The only reasonable and efficient way to block ads is locally, not online. Why go online for something you don't want to see anyway?!?

Therefore your DD-WRT option is really viable, the only viable you list. Btw, it is the well known hosts file based solution, working on any computer, not only with DD-WRT on the router.

Regarding the other (DNS) services:

adbarricade.com: Their DNS response time is 200ms :shocked:, OpenDNS is 15ms. :cool:
    fooldns.com: Their DNS response time is 50ms :sad:, OpenDNS is 15ms. :cool:
    DynDNS Internet Guide: Everybody can hi-jack and impact your settings, even from outside. :shocked:
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthormrroboto
    All you have to do is black list the major ones that really annoy you. It works like a charm. There are a few threads to help you out just search for them.

Here is one thread on what domins some people are blacklisting.
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=335
    However I think it is better to block your content as the sites you vist will differ and you might hit differnt ad domains.

From my end it started when my ISP let me block ads based on my location, and that stoped working and a call to the help desk did not restore the privacy they promised. Even though my settings were still ok. (You have to love large corporations!!!) Also after shopping for a gift for my wife and then ads for that store started to show up. DOHHH! (Again you have to love large corporations, I already bought the gift they don't need to ruin the suprise!!!)

So I found out what domains my ISP was using and all those ads are NOW GONE, not a single one left when I check email, or when I vist the start page they force me to vist, or when I pay my bill, etc.... I did not notice any slowdown etc.... I do sometime see a message that says powerd by Open DNS and I smile knowing the coporation will not spoil any more supprises for my family as long as I have open DNS. Yes I know we all use the same profile on the same PC!!!

I do keep open DNS ads and some other mild ones, as they don't all annoy me or spoil suprises, or snoop to get my zip code to show local ads. or if a service is good I don't mid ads and will sometimes click on them to support them.

But since figuring out my ISP AD's I have added domains of advertizing that is annyoying. I also run Nortan Family on the kids PC and use that to blcok ads that constant hit the kids PC.

Also as a side note on the ISP page I am forced to vist they always have videos, and I would get sucked in by the headline to see what is that about. And they always hit me with and ad, (Cheap trick by the corporation!!!! They do know how to make money) and I would always just back out and never see the content. Well I was able to find the CDN used to server the ads, and guys what the videos load with no ads. Good thing the CDN for the video was differt from the CDN for the ads.

So now they can force me to that page to check email all they want, but if they suck me in I only get the content they promised and no side trips to watch a comercial for a product I would never buy anyway.

Open DNS is the best thing since the invention of the internet!!!!!! Thanks Open DNS!!!!!
  1.  permalink
    If you use a browser extension script and/or ad blocker, you don't even need to find out anything. Ad blockers even come with subscriptions to frequently updated pre-defined block lists, if you want to go that way.
    • CommentAuthortinydanca
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    How do you even get a filter option?

edit: never mind, I found a thread explaining a solution.
  2.  permalink
    well people are blocking ad domains on dns level using content filtering... so who cares if it slows down experience they should still have an OPTIONAL ad block category.. i have used it before i used the dd-wrt ad block method & did not notice any slowdown, even if there was a slowdown, I DID NOT NOTICE ANY.

but it doesn't matter i have the dd-wrt host file method running & its great, i could even turn off web content filtering too & disabled typo correction, because the opendns guide page is annoying.. hijacking searches with a yahoo search? so so lame. make it google search & i will keep it on... but thats another topic.
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited
    "so who cares if it slows down experience they should still have an OPTIONAL ad block category."

Pay for the experience, then.

"i have used it before i used the dd-wrt ad block method & did not notice any slowdown, even if there was a slowdown, I DID NOT NOTICE ANY."

You didn't read the previous explanations provided at the links, did you? Because you blocked locally, this is why you DID NOT NOTICE ANY slower performance.

Besides, DNS and the internet in general are filled already with lots of pointless junk traffic. Blocking ads with DNS is like the DNS equivalent of spam.

"hijacking searches with a yahoo search?"

You can thank your browser for that. It isn't sending the search as a search, or you aren't using a search field instead of the address bar in browsers where these are separated. The guide page should only be returned for non-existent domains if your browser is configured and/or behaving properly.

Edit: In fact, this was just officially addressed here (again) recently:
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=14575&page=1#Item_4
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    no no no i did block ad domains on opendns BEFORE i used the local blocking..

and why do you have fanboys thanking your comments in not wanting an optional ad block category... is it so difficult to include an OPTIONAL ad block category? remember you don't have to use it if you feel it's 'super slow yo'

and tbh i'd rather not use opendns guide at all until they use google searches.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "why do you have fanboys thanking your comments in not wanting an optional ad block category."

Who wants to deal with all the complaints of people not understanding or accepting that and why it is so slow? You? Too many people would use it and complain, believe me. No, this is not the way to go. It doesn't make sense to go online for something you don't want to see anyway...

"i'd rather not use opendns guide at all until they use google searches."

No problem at all. Disable typo correction (and NXDOMAIN redirection). You'll lose filtering/blocking with the free version, but not with any paid version...
  3.  permalink
    omg i keep telling you it was not slow for me when i blocked some ads on dns level. maybe you have an Intel Pentium 166MHz PC that suffers to record your own farts without freezing.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012
    "maybe you have an Intel Pentium 166MHz PC"

Didn't I say it isn't to do with the computer and internet connection speed being used? It's the many servers you're waiting the response for - unnecessarily.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012 edited
    isn't what adblock for firefox does? downloads & hides ads? surely on a dns level it would remove the need for an addon & places where you cant install ad blockers eg iphone ipads ps3 etc
    Thankful People: mrroboto
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012 edited
    "isn't what adblock for firefox does?"

No, in no way. This is pure local operation with absolutely no online traffic, except to occasionally (e.g. once daily) load these subscription lists if you have subscribed to any.

It reads the webpage you requested and suppresses every DNS lookup and HTTP(S) requests where something is referenced in the blocking rules, thereby significantly reducing online traffic. And if the webpage itself falls under the blocking rules, you'll end up at a white screen.

"places where you cant install ad blockers eg iphone ipads ps3 etc"

You can always. Either there are related apps, or you use the hosts file available on *every* device (though you may need to jailbreak them).
  4.  permalink
    "and why do you have fanboys thanking your comments in not wanting an optional ad block category.

1) I didn't know I had "fanboys", and suspect I do not.
    2) I could guess, though, that someone would thank me for reiterating the explanation, or because they also know what I know.
    3) There is an option for this, you simply have to pay for the service by having an enterprise service level subscription.

"eg iphone ipads ps3 etc"

You get the configurability you bought. Why buy mobile devices and use cloud services but complain about not being able to control them at will? They are walled gardens.

Also note that blocking ads will render some services unusable, as they demand you see their ads before viewing content. People would then complain about that, and want more whitelist entries for free...
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012 edited
    if an ad needs to be loaded for certain websites to function properly simply remove them from being in the ad block category... simple.

i say its worth trialing out. it will definitely attract new/current customers. ad blocking on dns level was not slow for me, i used the content filtering to do it & had no problems.. so i say try it & see who turns it on & who keeps it off
  5.  permalink
    I’m going out on the limb here and assume you are using the free version of OpenDNS. As a business, OpenDNS has to make some money. It does so by using advertising.

Yet you ask them to block advertising and thus cut off the branch their business is sitting on just because you think you have some god given right to their service for nothing.

Am I about right in my analysis?

The situation is actually quite simple: If you don’t like the way OpenDNS runs its business, nobody’s forcing you to use their service. And if you don’t like that the rest of us is perfectly happy with the way OpenDNS is run, tough cookie!
  6.  permalink
    lol i don't care how they make money, i am more interested in what they can do for me as a consumer, the only way they make money is by hijacking our url searches & selling them to yahoo, if i don't agree they take away content filtering, which pretty much makes me want to leave. besides blocking other ads that aren't linked to the company is possible, they won't make any loss in doing it.

and yes i do have a right, they are trying making money off me with that awful yahoo search, at least give us google search like the rest of world uses.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012
    Google search... :shocked:

You like to be totally tracked, do you?
  7.  permalink
    <blockquote>if an ad needs to be loaded for certain websites to function properly simply remove them from being in the ad block category... simple.</blockquote>

No, that's stupid. This should be addressed locally. Yet again, you are asking for millions of users to deal with the consequences of the desires of a few. And again, people would be asking for something else for free: more whitelist space. They would also have to flush caches each time they change the blocking.

"the only way they make money is by hijacking our url searches & selling them to yahoo,"

Again, this is your misunderstanding and due to your choice of browser and its configuration. Most people do not have this issue, and it has been addressed in the forum again and again.

"at least give us google search like the rest of world uses. "

And you want to get away from advertising. LOL. I've got news for you - not everyone uses Google, and it does not always provide the best results. You are certainly free to use it, though. I use it for many searches, with some modification to what they get, and what I see in return.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfatts
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012
    Administrator
    We currently do not have any plans for making the Advertising category filterable.

You are welcome to add whatever advertising domains you would like to block to your blacklist.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.