Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I just put our home network on OpenDNS for speed and security's sake.

My father, however, is complaining because the old DNS (I don;t even remember what we were using, google maybe?) was setup so he could just type the name of a website and it would take him there instead of doing a search for the name.

For example, if he typed 'imdb' so he could find out who was on last week's episode of NCIS, it would go right to IMDB, rather than http://www.website-unavailable.com/main?wc=EWJsHhd5DQVAAwpxAQA%3D&url=imdb&w=1920&h=904&ifc=0

I know he can just click the top link on the results page, or just learn to type '.com' at the end, but he's cranky and likes things to be the way they always have been.

So is there some way to tweak my settings to just jump to the top result when you type an incomplete address?
  2.  permalink
    Yep. That's a browser setting. Adding www or com to a keyword is usually available somewhere in a browser configuration.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012
    You could disable Typo Correction under Advanced Settings here, but then you lose filtering/blocking with a free account.
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012 edited
    >>"...was setup so he could just type the name of a website and it would take him there instead of doing a search for the name."

Proxied/forwarded search strings is a browser and/or ISP DNS feature - OpenDNS only resolves actual public domain names (FQDN) and all other queries to our servers hit one of our landers, like the Guide.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.