Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Is their a service or a way i can set my content filtering and have authorized individuals (Mom and Dad) bypass the blocked content? i want to block facebook for the kiddies but not adults, but block adult sites to everyone. can this be done with using OpenDNS or do i have to continue to use my internal proxy?
    • CommentAuthorjessc
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012
    good question. I am looking for the same answer
  2.  permalink
    You can pay for enterprise-level service, or use an LPC-capable Netgear router. Of course, no service can differentiate between people, but between user accounts. It should go without saying that no one should be using an administrator or root/superuser account.

http://countries.netgear.com/lpc
    See the FAQ for a list of supported routers.

This uses a different type of OpenDNS account. If using LPC, close your current OpenDNS account by opening a support ticket, or simply ignore it (but don't use it for configuring filtering, etc.)

LPC can provide differential filtering for Windows and OS X user accounts. All other operating systems are subject to one configuration setting.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012
    Here is a free solution:
    Simply add this line to the hosts file on the kids' computers:

0.0.0.0 facebook.com www.facebook.com static.ak.fbcdn.net connect.facebook.net s-static.ak.fbcdn.net

And Facebook is gone.
    • CommentAuthorbfeely
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012 edited
    Actually add the following:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
    ::1 facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
    ::1 www.facebook.com
    127.0.0.1 static.ak.fbcdn.net
    ::1 static.ak.fbcdn.net
    127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.net
    ::1 connect.facebook.net
    127.0.0.1 s-static.ak.fbcdn.net
    ::1 s-static.ak.fbcdn.net

Works on both IPv4 and IPv6 connections.
    The instructions in the hosts file for Windows says to make each entry a separate line.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    127.0.0.1 slows down the surfing if you don't have a web server listening at 127.0.0.1. The (invalid) IP address 0.0.0.0 doesn't cause the browser to wait for a response.

And the IPv6 coverage is only interesting if your ISP provides you with IPv6 support at all - still rarely the case today.

"The instructions in the hosts file for Windows says to make each entry a separate line."

Really?
  3.  permalink
    Well, the file comments say to "make each entry on a separate line", but that just makes me question what MS considers to be an "entry". I would think that any domains being associated with a single IP can go on the same line (which works). For people who like to block tons of stuff via hosts, there would be some merit for maintenance reasons (and line length limitation) in keeping some domains one per entry (or grouped by some criterion).

But I think the instructional idea behind the MS comments (but who can ever tell, really) intends to point out that you cannot put more than one IP address in an entry.
  4.  permalink
    I am looking into replacing my existing, clunky filtering service with Open DNS and this is the biggest gap in the services... I was hoping that using the Family Shield DNS on my and my wife's PC's (208.67.222.123/208.67.220.123) would still protect from the worst, but even when I use that it seems to apply the blocked categories I have on my account, which were implemented with kids in mind.
  5.  permalink
    Well, there is no sort of "account" differentiation. DNS IP settings apply to the system, not the user.

You could use something like http://www.eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm
    installed for the appropriate accounts only.

Otherwise, you can look at a Netgear LPC router which does filtering in conjunction with OpenDNS, needs no updater, and can filter per Windows or OS X user account.
    http://countries.netgear.com/lpc see the FAQ for a list of LPC-capable routers.

This is simply something that a remote service cannot do.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.