Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthordansam
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    I work for a school district who is doing a 1-to-1 initiative with student laptops. We currently use light-speed but have had some issues with students being able to bypass it. OpenDNS seems like a good fit except that the students are allowed to take their laptops home. As we provide the students with these laptops, it is our responsibility to ensure that they are compliant with our school standards even while they are at home.

Since our students are currently out for the summer, we thought this would be a great time to test-drive OpenDNS, but we are having an issue with the student laptop being able to communicate with our internal server. We have a public IP address for that server, and use it as a wiki/web server, so we are certain that it can be reached from outside. I can not seem to get the computers to contact DNS on that server though. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Additional info:

Server: Mac Xserve running 10.6.8
    Client : MacBook Air/MacBook Pro running 10.7.4

Don't let the Macs scare you off. If you can tell me what I need to do on Windows Server platform or Linux, I can make it work.

Thanks,
    Dan
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012 edited
    You are certainly aware that OpenDNS is for networks you own, not for your devices in other networks. That said, you have exactly 1.5 options. :wink:

1. Configure the laptops to use your school's internal DNS server for DNS lookups. For this to work you need to open the firewalls/routers inbound for port 53, UDP and TCP, and you have to configure port forwarding to your DNS server. This option may not work at all in case the network on the client (laptop) side prevents from using 3rd party DNS.

2. The even stronger solution is to only allow VPN connections to your school network from the laptops, so all traffic would go through your network. Same as for option 1, you had to open the firewall for e.g. port 5900 (or whatever is used by the VPN/VNC software) and to forward this port to your VPN service running on a server. Als this option may not work in cases where the related port is outbound blocked at the client side.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.