Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorcp-center
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    Hello,

I've customized all the "blocked" messages to display Japanese text, but it seems that a few of the characters are not displaying properly.

Specifically, this is what I am seeing for one of the messages:

このWebサイト「games.yahoo.co.jp」の閲覧がブロックされました。 ブロックされたWebサイトの閲覧が業務上必要な� �合は運用室までご連絡く� さい。

It is supposed to display like the following:

このWebサイト「[DOMAIN]」の閲覧がブロックされました。 ブロックされたWebサイトの閲覧が業務上必要な場合は運用室までご連絡ください。

I'm not sure why only the "場" and "だ" characters are displayed improperly. If there was some sort of character encoding problem then wouldn't the entire Japanese text would be unreadable?

I tried retyping the above message (just to make sure there wasn't any unexpected exotic characters or anything), but nothing changes.

Anyhow, any help solving this mystery would be appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    Yes, this has been reported ions ago already.
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3153
    Thankful People: cp-center
    • CommentAuthorcp-center
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    I think that this issue is different from that described in the 3 year old link that you provided.

Your link implies that around three years ago the OpenDNS block page did not have an UTF-8 meta tag:

"Some of the pages here have: charset=utf-8 in the header, while the block.opendns.com page did not. It is not that the page can not support these features, but that the page never told your browser it can display these features. If the custom message entry page doesn't have utf-8 in the header, than your browser may not allow you to enter supported characters."

Fast forward to today, the OpenDNS block page does indeed have the necessary UTF-8 meta tag. (If you were check the page source you would see that indeed this is true).

Even if you did not bother to look at the source, if the block page truly did not have the UTF-8 meta tag, then, as I mentioned above, then the Japanese custom message would be entirely garbled. However, this is not the case--only one or two characters are garbled.

Since the custom message displays correctly in the customization page (i.e. read from the OpenDNS database), the problem might lie somewhere with the read/translation of characters from the OpenDNS database to the block page. I am not a webapp guy, however, so I do not know for certain.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
  1.  permalink
    Whatever the case, I would suggest opening a support ticket.
    Thankful People: cp-center
    • CommentAuthorcp-center
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    Okay, I'll try that. We'll see what happens.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.