Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortechman65
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    Hello,

I have a user on my network who is bypassing OpenDNS. I have the OpenDNS servers configured on my router and that works to filter sites for most of my users. However, one user has entered alternate DNS servers on his laptop and is able to completely bypass the OpenDNS settings I have in place.

Is there any solution for this?

thanks,
    Rod
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited
    This has often been asked and answered here.

Either block outbound port 53 passthrough through the router, or configure your router to redirect any DNS requests to OpenDNS, whatever your router is capable about.
    • CommentAuthortechman65
    Thank you. I have the DDWRT firmware installed on a DLINK router. Looks like I shouldn't have any problem using IPTABLES to redirect the DNS requests.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Yep, DD-WRT even have a wiki article for this purpose.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS "Intercept DNS Port"
    • CommentAuthorIan
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012
    The above link to configure you dd-wrt device is the best and pretty much the only option.

Lets hope the individual in question does not find out about services like Hotspot Shield from AnchorFree. It operates at another layer so DNS filters are bypassed.

Good Luck!

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.