Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorslimcode
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    Help me find out who's at fault, I have no clue.

I have two domains, slimcode.com and slimkeys.com. I have my web site hosted at winhost.com. Both domains, registered with Dotster, have their name servers set to WinHost's name servers, identical. In my WinHost control panel, I have slimkeys.com set as a domain pointer. Nevertheless, slimcode.com is resolved as 96.31.35.13, and slimkeys.com as 67.215.65.132. I have many other domains set up just like slimkeys.com, but only two of them map to 67.215.65.132.

You'd think it's WinHost's name servers' fault, right? I used CacheCheck, nothing changes. Now WinHost tells me everything is fine on their end, both names resolve to the same, and the problem is with my domain registrar (dah?). It could have been a problem with OpenDNS, but I tried with my cell phone (not using OpenDNS, over 3G), and slimkeys.com fails too.

Who's fault is this? What is happening?

Thanks.
  1.  permalink
    I don't think anybody knows where slimkeys.com is.

http://www.robtex.com/dns/slimkeys.com.html#records

nslookup www.slimkeys.com 8.8.8.8
    Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address: 8.8.8.8

*** google-public-dns-a.google.com can't find www.slimkeys.com: Non-existent dom
    ain

nslookup www.slimkeys.com 4.2.2.1
    Server: vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
    Address: 4.2.2.1

*** vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net can't find www.slimkeys.com: Non-existent domain

The records are not correct, or have yet to propagate.

"Nevertheless, slimcode.com is resolved as 96.31.35.13, and slimkeys.com as 67.215.65.132. "

That would be the address of the Guide, to which you are redirected from hit-nxdomain.opendns.com, as OpenDNS does not return NXDOMAIN as part of operations and business model, from which you can opt out but would lose filtering in the free version of the service.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    Ask winhost.com why their nameservers are not propagating their information.

nslookup slimkeys.com. ns1.winhost.com
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Der Servername für die Adresse 72.20.39.182 konnte nicht gefunden werden:
    Timed out
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 72.20.39.182

Name: slimkeys.com
    Address: 96.31.35.13

nslookup slimkeys.com. ns2.winhost.com
    Server: ns2.winhost.com
    Address: 216.52.229.6

nslookup slimkeys.com. ns3.winhost.com
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Der Servername für die Adresse 72.3.168.32 konnte nicht gefunden werden:
    Timed out
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 72.3.168.32

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.