Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorrjh18
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    I have a whitelist which includes apple.com, however I am unable to get to the mac store or itunes store unless i flush the dns cache first. Once I am in I can't purchase unless I flush the dns cache again. Before every operation I need to flush the dns cache to make it work. Any idea?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited
    What are the exact symptoms with being unable to access the Apple pages?
    What is the (bad) content of your DNS cache at these times?
    You could disable your local DNS cache in general.
    • CommentAuthorrjh18
    How do I find this out?

How do I disable? What are the effects?
  1.  permalink
    This is a function of the same command used to flush the cache. Use the command's help function to find out (which is most always -h). I believe for dscacheutil it is -cachedump

How to disable: Turn off the resolver daemon, I believe. I don't know how.
    Effects: Lookups is no longer cached locally, so you don't need to empty the cache repeatedly while this problem is occurring.
    • CommentAuthorrjh18
    why doesn't it work with the apple.com domain? The symptom is a message "unable to connect to itunes store"
  2.  permalink
    Why do you need to repeatedly flush your cache? Who knows? This sounds like a problem with your OS.

Why doesn't it just work with apple.com? Because apple has their stuff hosted at multiple domains, and uses CDNs. You wouldn't have, say, akamai.net blocked?

Also, is this message from the itunes app or a browser? Either way, the message only states the obvious.
    • CommentAuthorrjh18
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    What are the domains that need to be whitelisted for mac app store and itunes to work?
  3.  permalink
    Look at your Stats for blocked domains and find out.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.