Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    if I ping my server named 'heroix' then I get the following output:

Pinging heroix.ispfabriek.nl [208.69.32.145] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 208.69.32.145: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=54
    Reply from 208.69.32.145: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=54

I have no idea where the ispfabriek.nl is comming from and the ip-address above is incorrect too, it should be in the 192.168.1.xxx range.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I already tried, to no avail: ipconfig /flushdns
  2.  permalink
    ispfabriek.nl is probably coming from DNS suffix andd/or DNS suffix search list settings on your computer as set by the ISP via the router.

That said, ping is a tool of extremely limited usefulness, as you never know where it got name resolution from.

The other problem is that you have remote DNS server addresses configured directly on your computer. No DNS server on the internet knows where anything in your LAN is. Many ISPs and OpenDNS do not return NXDOMAIN by default, so your network does not try further resolution locally (you sent a local request to the internet). Specifically, OpenDNS returns a valid address for hit-nxdomain.opendns.com which redirects to the Guide page.

Options:
    Configure DNS at the WAN side of the router.

If you don't use filtering, turn off Typo Correction and the OpenDNS Proxy at your Dashboard.

Add heroix.ispfabriek.nl to your Typo Exceptions - Exceptions for VPN Users at your Dashboard. (Unless you kill the DNS suffix on your machine, in which case just add heroix.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.