Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorJan
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012
    tags that apply to some content vs tags that apply to the purpose or subject of a site

So, is the tagging supposed to be

"this tag applies because I found content on this site that applies to this tag"

OR

"This tag applies here because this is the subject or main goal of the website"

I'm asking this because I'm seeing a bit too much sites I feel are wrongly tagged because they contain a few pages of content (usually user-generated) that is not the main subject of the website. And I flagged for review a couple of them because I think websites should be tagged by their subject/main goal/focus rather than part of their content that has nothing to do with it in the first place.

So which is the good way of tagging ?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012
    "This tag applies here because this is the subject or main goal of the website"

As far as I could see, this is the more agreed and more common sense direction here although another group tends to have a different opinion at least when it comes to certain categories only, not generally.
  1.  permalink
    This is why tags are up for voting and a final approval/rejection, and open to being flagged after.

I mean, it is better not to tag a whole domain for a few minor items when the rest of the content does not fit. But if there are whole sections of content fitting a category, the category may apply.

The best method I can suggest is to imagine that a domain was blocked under some category, and decide whether you would find this helpful or annoying. Then consider how other users might see it - are your views fairly extreme? E.g., would you block a whole domain as Bikini/Lingerie because someone posted a picture of their family at the beach? That would be a bit extreme.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthorJan
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    I think it's better to tag only by the subject.
  2.  permalink
    Domains don't necessarily have subjects, and filtering here is domain-based. So use keyword or whatever filtering on your router or by using an installed application.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.