Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorwiwebbs
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    I switched ISP's in the last year, and ever since I just can't get OPENDNS to filter out the blacklisted websites I want to filter. It has always worked great before changing ISP's. FYI - extreme noob, so I'm sure that's part of the problem.

* I have a linksys WRT54GL router with Tomato_1_28 from polarcloud.com.

What's weird is that I set up Opendns to filter/blacklist youtube.com and craigslist.org and it filtered correctly. I had just run ipconfig/flushdns and also deleted all the browser history on each user set up on the computer. So it was all working great.

Then, when I rebooted the router, modem and computer, it stopped working again.
    I have the client side OPENDNS updater on - and it had registerd the change in IP address. When I use the welcome.opendns.com link to test OPENDNS is working, I get the successful test - so I can't figure out why it stops filtering the blacklisted sites.
    Any ideas? I would LOVE to get the filtering working again!
  1.  permalink
    What browser are you using, then? It wouldn't be Opera, with Turbo Mode turned on?

Your ISP may also use a caching proxy - for stuff that isn't cached, you lookups may go to OpenDNS, otherwise not.

Do you have all DNS fields in your router filled with non-repeated addresses?

DNS settings on computer point only to router?

Post here the output of
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com. 208.67.220.220
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.

What ISP? What type of carriage? (Wireless, sat, cable, fiber, dsl?)
    • CommentAuthorwiwebbs
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    :bigsmile:
    What browser are you using, then? It wouldn't be Opera, with Turbo Mode turned on?

I use explorer. The kids use Chrome (the have different user accounts on our computer, but a cleared their cashe's as well - both on Chrome and Explorer).

Do you have all DNS fields in your router filled with non-repeated addresses?

The static DNS fields are all filled, but 2 different IP's: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220,(then the 220 repeated again).

I'm going to try to use imageshack to show you an image of the DNS and the DDNS tabs, not really sure if it will work..

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2588/basictab.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/ddnstab.jpg/

C:\Users\Owner>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com. 208.67.220.220
    Server: resolver2.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.220.220

Post here the output of
    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com. 208.67.220.220
    Non-authoritative answer:
    debug.opendns.com text = "server 14.dfw"
    debug.opendns.com text = "flags 20 0 2f6 7e00400014c3"
    debug.opendns.com text = "id 7517295"
    debug.opendns.com text = "source 75.44.34.184:56787"

nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    C:\Users\Owner>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com
    Server: unknown
    Address: 192.168.20.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    debug.opendns.com text = "server 14.dfw"
    debug.opendns.com text = "flags 20 0 2f6 7e00400014c3"
    debug.opendns.com text = "id 7517295"
    debug.opendns.com text = "source 75.44.34.184:49573"

ISP is ATT DSL.

Thank you so much for helping!!!
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012 edited
    "The static DNS fields are all filled, but 2 different IP's: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220,(then the 220 repeated again)."

Don't repeat. I don't know Tomato specifically, but usually this will not work. Use one of the other two addresses. Mix the last two octets: 208.67.222.220 208.67.220.222.

Your lookups indicate that you can use OpenDNS (and AT&T has never been a problem in any region as far as I know, and it's never been a problem for me personally) and you are using opendns, at least for that one lookup. Definitely fix your DNS addresses as above, flush caches, and try again.

Something else I've seen occasionally, so I'll mention it: Make sure you are rebooting your router, and not resetting it via the little recessed button on the back. This drops it back to factory condition.

Your IP is registered to account id 7517295, which is hopefully yours. If you get no errors in your DDNS log or at your Dashboard, then this is correct.

Unfortunately, I get a 404 on your first link, but it is likely redundant since we know what is in your DNS fields already. edit: I got it. Just flipped the album pages: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/basictab.jpg/ Yup, I suspect we have identified your problem as I described above.
    Thankful People: zelus

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.