Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthornotelvis
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Hi, I have Open DNS with DNS Crypt. I also use a VPN by Witopia. Is there a way to configure things so I can use both services? Do I still need a VPN is I use DNS Crypt (I still use Outlook for email). Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    DNSCrypt just encrypts your DNS traffic, not the other traffic which is the majority of the data volume. Not sure if you need a VPN to encrypt *all* your traffic. This depends on what you want to achieve. You should know.

If you use this VPN, your traffic will be visible to Witopia, but no longer to e.g. your ISP, but your ISP will still know that you use a Witopia VPN. There is no way to become totally invisible on the internet, except maybe with TOR, JAP, JonDo or similar proxies. And even with those your ISP will still know what service you're using.

You may not be able to use OpenDNS (with or w/o DNSCrypt) as long as you are connected through the VPN, because OpenDNS is for *your* networks, not for your devices in other networks like a VPN, where you don't have control over.

Also not sure why you say "I still use Outlook for email", as this is not directly related to DNSCrypt or a VPN as a topic...
    Thankful People: zelus, notelvis
    • CommentAuthornotelvis
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    roblitz,
    thanks for your comments. I obtained a VPN because I read it was the best and safe way to access wifi if I was at an airport, Starbucks, or any other publically accessible wifi site. I mentioned Outlook because I thought sending emails via Outlook would not be completely protected by DNSCrypt and would require a VPN if I was at an open wifi site. Again, thanks for your input.
  1.  permalink
    "I thought sending emails via Outlook would not be completely protected by DNSCrypt"

Nothing is protected excepting your DNS queries, hence the name.
    Thankful People: notelvis
    • CommentAuthornotelvis
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    thanks

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.