Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012
    Hi Opendns support and fellow users !
    I'm a registered user who hasn't used the service for years (sorry!) so I'm a bit rusty - and things may have changed in the meantime...

I have dynamic IP (v4) but with infrequent changes & don't want to let a client auto-update my OpenDNS account's IP, rather I wish to update it manually when necessary. I've just reviewed my "dashboard" on the Opendns web site, but couldn't find my way to where/how I can inform my registered network's active IP.

Please help !

--
    Czerno
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Regarding your issue, nothing has really changed.

To update manually, you visit https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/
    If you don't see a network, add one.
    If there's a network already, you'll see green arrows between the currently registered IP address and the one you're connecting from. Click these green arrows to update your network with your current IP address.

"I wish to update it manually when necessary."

It is *always* necessary!

You shouldn't leave your network registered with an IP address which is no longer yours. This may impact other users having inherited your former IP address, and OpenDNS staff or some automatic feature may deactivate your network or even delete your account.

It is only appropriate to either have no network with IP address registered at all, or to keep it stricly updated with an Updater. Everything else is inacceptable.
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012 edited
    Question (continued) : more details
    [ Edit : this below was written while Rotblitz was writing his reply to my 1st message. Thank you, R. However as you'll hear now, the problem is that I DO NOT GET the GREEN ARROWS !]

- Computer is successfully using OpenDNS as my resolvers (verified).

- I found this blob on the Support site, that reads :
    (quote)"Log in to the OpenDNS Dashboard and go to the Settings tab. If OpenDNS has detected a new IP address for the network, an icon displaying green arrows will be visible next to your network's IP address. Another IP address will be displayed underneath the original. If this second IP address is now being used by this network, click the icon to complete the IP address update to OpenDNS. " (ends quote)

So the above /should be/ the procedure I'm looking for (and now I seem to remember the "green arrow" of youre) *BUT* ...!!!!

- Going to my dashboard, https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/ ,
    I can see NO green arrows alongside the displayed (obsolete) IP number, despite my network is properly registered as having dynamic DNS. I'm fully looged in to the OpenDNS web service.

- The above problem is seen using Firefox and Google Chrome. And I did allow javascript for the site just in case it matters.

Again, please help ! Does the absence of green arrows raise a bell somewhere ? Should I open a ticket (I'm a non paying user).

--
    Czerno
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    If you don't see the green arrows, then your current IP address is already registered with another OpenDNS network, or generally cannot be registered at all, because e.g. it is deemed to be a shared address.

So, something happens to you now what you could cause to others while not keeping your IP address updated.

You'll read #3 of the sticky "Read this before you post anything!" on top of the forums.
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=11313

And yes, you should open a ticket. And you may want to obtain another IP address from your ISP while power-cycling the router or modem.
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    Continuation - sorry for sort-of replying my own posts,

I have DELETED the (several years) old network from the Dashboard, and tried to recreate a new one having my current IP. We'll see if the problem reappears with the "new" network...

Rotblits, I'm fully aware a dynamic IP shoud NOT stay associated with OpenDNS after it's changed, and intend to keep mine updated with ODNS (but manually rather than using a dyndns client). I apologise about the old "frozen" IP with your system...

Meanwhile, The dashboard is saying that the new network IP is "waiting for verification".

[Edit]: Email received, confirm done. Should be OK now. Still, no green arrows on dashboard - is it just because the IP hasn't changed (yet) ?
    Thank you for the useful help.

Regards

--
    Czerno
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "I apologise about the old "frozen" IP with your system..."

That's not my system, I'm a user like you. :cool:

"Meanwhile, The dashboard is saying that the new network IP is "waiting for verification"."

Oh, this doesn't look good. You didn't submit the IP address OpenDNS is seeing from you, or there are other concerns about that IP address (range). Else it would not need manual verification. Are you behind a proxy?
    http://www.lagado.com/proxy-test
    Where did you get the submitted IP address from?

"Still, no green arrows on dashboard - is it just because the IP hasn't changed (yet) ?"

Yes, if you're coming from your registered IP address, there are no green arrows, of course. This wouldn't make any sense.
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    - "Meanwhile, The dashboard is saying that the new network IP is "waiting for verification"."

- Oh, this doesn't look good. You didn't submit the IP address OpenDNS is seeing from you,...

Hmm, since I "deleted" the old network and created a "new" one instead, isn't the email confirmation a standard procedure in this case ? Or it was because my browser was connected using my IPv6 address, which is preferred by default over IPv4, while I've registered an IPv4 with OpenDNS. Anyway, after I clicked the confirmation link in the automated email from ODNS, all was and has remained correct :=)

- Speaking of IPv6 : since I have got a permanent IPv6 range (courtesy of the nice folks at Hurricane Electric), is it possible to have /both/ a (possibly changing) IPv4 and an (fixed) IPv6 assigned to my free OpenDNS account ? I understand free accounts can have only /one/ IP registered within the system, but my IPv4 and v6 addresses designate one and the same network. It will / would be nice if it's possible to have both associated with the ODNS account.

Regards...

--
    Czerno
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "Hmm, since I "deleted" the old network and created a "new" one instead, isn't the email confirmation a standard procedure in this case ?"

I do not recall having seen this when adding a network. But could well be in between.

"is it possible to have /both/ a (possibly changing) IPv4 and an (fixed) IPv6 assigned to my free OpenDNS account ?"

The IPv6 sandbox allows to raise DNS lookups via IPv6, but this does not come with content filtering or stats or anything yet, so it doesn't make sense to associate your IPv6 IP addresses with an OpenDNS network or account.
    http://www.opendns.com/technology/ipv6/
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    "The IPv6 sandbox allows to raise DNS lookups via IPv6, but this does not come with content filtering or stats or anything yet, so it doesn't make sense to associate your IPv6 IP addresses with an OpenDNS network or account."

Oh, I see. Thank you very much, Roblitz, have a nice day !
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited
    Still no joy :-(

After getting a renewed (changed) public IP address, I'm logged in to my dashboard <https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/> ...

And still NO ARROWS, green or otherwise, that I can see !

I've disabled both of Scriptno and AddBlock add-ons for Chrome which might interfere with the settings page, to no avail again.

Other than posting to this forum, is there a way for me as a free customer to get OpenDNS staff to look at the issue ?

Regards

--
    Czerno
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    "Still no joy " ? Forget that ! I got the green arrows and was able to have the new IP registered.

Had to disable the use of IPv6 for this to work though.

Makes /some/ sense, and good to know. Although IMHO there should be a way to allow a registered user to enter his or her IP WITHOUT insisting that their browser be connected from that same IP. Autodetection may be good for the majority of users, but there are cases when that can't work. An alternate update page for such cases would be nice to have...
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "is there a way for me..."

Yes, you can enter the following URL in a browser window to see what's up:
    "https://updates.opendns.com/nic/update?hostname=network_label"
    This will return an error code telling you why you can't register that IP address.
    And it is another way of registering your IP address manually. :cool:

"...as a free customer to get OpenDNS staff to look at the issue ?"

Sure, open a support ticket.

"Although IMHO there should be a way to allow a registered user to enter his or her IP WITHOUT insisting that their browser be connected from that same IP."

Oops, no! :shocked:
    Think about, I'm your son. I simply create a free OpenDNS account and network for me, and then I update with the registered IP address, originally registered with your network. And all your settings are gone, and mine are effective. Hurrah! :devil:

Or - I become aware of your IP address, and register it for mine. Then you're bound to my settings until you become aware of it to change it back, and so forth, an endless loop... :tongue:
    • CommentAuthorczerno
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    " - Oops, no! "

Right Rotblitz, I see your point - it would be like opening a whole can of worms and create terrible support and policing issues.

Well, I now know how to manage my account's IP changes again, I think, so all's well that...

--
    Cz.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.