Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Agreed with raydixon, it would be helpful to know what opendns did to make it work. I have now installed the offending windows update on five win 7 computers and not getting the pop ups.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarcobicca
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    Administrator
    Hi Guys,

We made a change yesterday night to resolve this issue by adding that domain to a global exceptions list.

Please, do let us know if you guys see any issues but everything should be fine now.

Thank you,
    Marco Bicca
    • CommentAuthorrockshox
    It looks like OpenDNS has an exclusion set for ipv6.microsoft.com and it no longer redirects to the OpenDNS Guide which was faking the Microsoft NCSI utility into thinking the internet connection was behind a paywall/gardenwall/login page.

Yesterday, http://ipv6.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt would redirect to the OpenDNS Guide, today it just shows the page cannot be displayed.
    Thankful People: rotblitz, conrad.tdi
    • CommentAuthorleskoonk
    I don't know if it is related or not, but I am no longer able to run Secunia (3.0). One one computer it just hangs during "loading", and on another it gives an error that it cannot run through a proxy. This problem started happening only since the problem was fixed.

Larry
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012
    No, MS NCSI is definitely unrelated to Secunia. You may check your domain stats to find any related domains blocked, so that you can whitelist them.
  2.  permalink
    No problems now. Thanks for the quick response.
    • CommentAuthorjudron
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012
    I have had this problem for a few months now and it does not appear to be related to updates KB2750841 or KB2446708, as suggested on another forum. I have found that, if I wait or click on some network-dependant application, the problem disappears. However, I must say that I am rather displeased with Microsoft's constant updates-to-correct-updates. I have re-installed my Windows7 a number of times only to have Microsoft's attempts to add its updates, resulting in my computer, which is relatively new, with 12GB memory, slowing down to an absolute crawl, until I finally turned the updates off. I should not have to do this, but these problems are beyond Microsoft's ability to correct. They can only offer another update, and another, and another ..... I have also tried an earlier version of Windows8 and was thoroughly dissatisfied with its performance and no provision to go back, except to re-install Windows7 from the beginning. I would suggest that anyone wishing to try Windows8 do so on a separate drive, so that, if they find themselves dissatisfied, as I was, they can simply re-install their other drive and continue on, as long as they can until, eventually, Microsoft stops supporting Windows7.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.