Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Hi,

I'm using OpenDNS for about half a year now.
    At the beginning OpenDNS really pushed my internet experience. Since 4-6 weeks I have very bad respond times of the DNS service so that loading of many websites is very slow at the beginning (even if it's a big site like Germany's most popular IT news page www.heise.de). My connection is a VDSL line from T-Com (50 MBit/s down, 10 MBit/s up), which belongs to Deutsche Telekom AG (AS3320).

I know it may be the fault of my providers peering with London at first but I also think the current european location for OpenDNS is not ideal for Europe as a whole.

London is one of the gates when it comes to outer european internet traffic so the connection e.g. to the US is very good from London. But the inner european internet traffic is more concentrated at peering points like DE-CIX in Frankfurt/Germany, AMS-IX in Amsterdam/Netherlands or INXS in Munich/Germany. In fact Frankfurt and Amsterdam have very good connections to the US, too.
    I don't really know about the respond time from the eastern european countries but I suppose their respond might be even more worse than mine. Especially countries which are new to the european union concentrate to improove their internet connectivity with connections to Frankfurt and Amsterdam.

I have the suggestion for you OpenDNS guys to focus on new locations on the european continent, preferably in Frankfurt or Amsterdam. For transitional it might be okay to improove the logical peerings from your location in London to important european ISPs.

I am very disappointed you are working hard on your systems performance within the US but have only one location for whole Europe which in addition has no ideal placing.

I think I'm going to switch back all my networks (business, home, family and friends) to my ISPs DNS servers as OpenDNS has become really unuseful for now.

Best regards from Munich
    Julian

PS: Just recodnized that OpenDNS user statistic is in nose dive since Nov 6th - over 3 billion requests less which is over 30 percent!
    Thankful People: fastoffice
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    I am located in Germany too, with ISP DTAG, ADSL 16000, but could not face the problems you are observing. To get a full picture of your DNS problem, you may follow the hints given in this contribution:
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2418#Item_4
    • CommentAuthorsesom
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    Well, i am also a user of Deutsche Telekom and using OpenDNS slows down name resolution for me too, after entering a domain in Firefox there is 2 seconds delay, before loading starts.

Klaus
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    To measure this objectively check the hints here: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2418
    Still not having problems with OpenDNS (London server), using ADSL 16000 from Deutsche Telekom.

You will indeed see results like 15ms for DTAG DNS and 35ms for OpenDNS, but this is nothing which would slow down your surfing experience. If DNS query times would be signficantly more than 100ms, then you may become aware of it.
    • CommentAuthorsesom
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    I checked responce times with dig before posting, responce time is around 35 seconds for DT-DNS and OpenDNS, but in Firefox there is a 2 second delay when using OpenDNS. No idea where that comes from ...

Klaus
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Try also another browser to see if there's the same problem. However, the issue is most likely related to FF behavior or configuration.
    Also, I'm using FF 2.0.0.18 without problems.
  2.  permalink
    just to make it clear: i was using OpenDNS from several locations all over germany with different providers and faced into similar problems for all locations. and no, i'm not to stupid - i AM a proferssional.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Gugge ma da! En Experde! Dann nutz es hald net!

Edit: So what are your DNS lookup/query times to OpenDNS and to DTAG?
    • CommentAuthorsesom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008
    The slow DNS queries really annoyed me, so i started to google and http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=firefox+slow+dns brought back a lot of results. After reading, i did the following:

1. Type about:config in the address bar.
    2. Type IPv6 in the filter box.
    3. Double click network.dns.disableIPv6 to set the value to true.

Easy, but that did it for me, DNS lookups are much faster now.

Klaus
    Thankful People: fastoffice, rotblitz
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    That's basically right, but would not be a good idea for me, as I am already pretty active in the IPv6 internet. Whatever, I do not have these problems, because I have real IPv6 connectivity, so DNS lookups do not time out.
    You may consider to also set up real IPv6 connectivity, and your problems will go away, AND you opened the IPv6 internet for you.
    • CommentAuthorsesom
    Well, i had running IPv6 for month (with http://www.sixxs.net/ as broker), but didn't see any advantages, so i stopped again.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008 edited
    Well, if you are interested in newsgroups, you can get them for FREE over IPv6:
    e.g. news.ipv6.eweka.nl and newszilla6.xs4all.nl
    Just one of the many advantages...
    You need an IPv6 capable newsreader, of course, or 6tunnel to make IPv4 newsreaders work.

Also, you may try www.tunnelbroker.net as broker.
    Thankful People: nielsiejjj92

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.