Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    We're starting to roll out a new DNS Stats system to replace the ailing system on the Dashboard now. The first wave of users will see the new system running their Total Requests, Total Unique Domains and (at long last) Top Domains reports starting now.

If you see any problems with the new system, please leave a note here and we'll work to resolve it. Update! If you want to be a part of the next group to use the new system, email daniel at opendns.com.

Thanks for sending so many DNS requests!
    •  
      CommentAuthordavidu
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Administrator
    Awesome!
    • CommentAuthormiked
    Yay!
    Thankful People: OpenDNS User, wubba
    • CommentAuthorhsskc
    Hi, i'd like to be a part of the next group. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorKing
    I would like to be a part of the next group as well! :-)
  1.  permalink
    Administrator
    Anyone who would like to participate can send an email to daniel at opendns dot com and I will add you to the list.

NOTE: Be sure and include the username for your OpenDNS account in the body of that email.
    Thankful People: markoe, webhansen
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    does this mean the "domains" feature in stats will be available soon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcorykrug
    Administrator
    Woohoo!
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    @crazyal15: You bet! The last few servers are in the mail.
    Thankful People: wubba, crazyal15
    •  
      CommentAuthorjmd
    Administrator
    Hooray stats!
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    Great stuff! Unbelievable! Awesome! Yes, it really looks similar to the "old" stats, which disappeared begin of this year 2008. I missed it for so long, and now I'm overwelmed and enthusiastic! Thank you so much! A real Christmas gift!

Edit: In between I checked a bit closer, and the stats are really nearly current. One thing I want to mention, the "blocked domains" stats apparently do not work, no data available, and with the recommendation to "add a network"...
    Is this intended or still needs to be fixed?
    •  
      CommentAuthordavidu
    Administrator
    @rotblitz, it's coming very soon. All a part of the new system, just being rolled out in pieces.
    Thankful People: wubba
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    @rotblitz: Total Requests, Total Unique Domains and Top Domains are coming from our new system (for you and other beta testers). I'm coding up the Blocked Domains portion right now.
    Thankful People: miked, davidu, wubba, jmd, rotblitz, markoe
    • CommentAuthorwubba
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008 edited
    Many thanks for all your efforts! A quick question, though... I had Domain stats show up for about 6 hours, but they have since gone back to being disabled. All my other stats are still available, and other OpenDNS functions, (blocking, etc.), are working properly. Is it just me ;-), or are the bugs still being worked out system wide for the Domain stats? Again, thanks for all you do!
    • CommentAuthorsrday
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    Thanks guys!

The Dashboard Stats Overview, Total Unique IP, Blocked Domains, and Request Type charts still are NOT working for me. The Total Requests, Total Unique Domains, and Top Domains all seem to function.

Interestingly, however, drop-down box navigation does NOT work on any of these pages. To transition between the different reports, I have to return to the non-functional Stats Overview page and select a different link from the sidebar. This also means I'm unable to choose different date ranges to be displayed.
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    @wubba: You're back! If you disabled and then re-enabled stats yourself then it would take you back to the old UI. If you didn't then it's my fault and I apologize. Soon we'll kill the old system but in the meantime, you've got it.

@srday: Those stats you mention as not working are known to be. They're still using the old, creaky DNS Stats system. The Total Requests, Unique Domains and Top Domains pages are using the shiny new system. The rest will be coming along shortly as will a new Stats Overview page.
    Thankful People: wubba, srday
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    You may notice some rather ridiculous numbers at about 2:00 PM yesterday, December 3rd. There was a bug in the new system that entered quite a bit of duplicate data yesterday afternoon. I've fixed the problem and the system is back to normal. Unfortunately there's no accurate way to remove offending data.

The problem causes some domains to appear to have been requested thousands of times. The domains themselves are correct and were requested from your network. The counts are incorrectly inflated.

I apologize for any inconvenience but am glad this worked itself out before our general launch. Thanks for your understanding. If you have any further questions, post them here or email richard@opendns.com.
    • CommentAuthorwubba
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    Domain stats are back! Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was something I did, or if it was just the "growing pains" of rolling out the new system. I did hit the "Purge DNS Data" button at one point, (me being a born button pusher, and all...), under the advanced settings just to see what would happen, and I was afraid that might have caused the problem if the problem wasn't system-wide. Thanks again, and continued success with the roll-out!
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    I just made an update to the Stats start page to include graphs from the new system. It'll continue to be expanded as the new system is finished up. Let me know if you see any problems.
    Thankful People: wubba, srday
    • CommentAuthoryesnet
    Stats aren't showing up for me
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    @yesnet: You're not in our beta group but I'll enable you in our next expansion early next week.
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    Thats why they are not showing.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    @rcrowley
    Just wanted to point out an observation regarding individual domain blocking and top domain stats.
    If I have a domain badsite.net in the blacklist, and the DNS request was for badsite.net, then it is shown as blocked in top domains, but it is not shown as blocked in top domains, if the DNS lookup was for www.badsite.net, although it was blocked in fact. This is pretty confusing and may lead to the action to block www.badsite.net in addition, although this is not necessary.
    Thankful People: wubba
    • CommentAuthorwubba
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    I would like to back up rotblitz's observations. I've known that in theory if I block blahblah.com that all sub-domains of blahblah.com should also be blocked, as well. However, I was confused by the way the Top Domains stats displayed that info. I will also admit to changing site listings in my blocked list to include, (apparently unnecessary), sub-domains as a result of my confusion.
    • CommentAuthorkmg90
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    Could I be entered in for early access??
    :surprised:
    I miss this feature so much I actually logged on today seeing if maybe the stats would be fully functional again, I was sad :sad: to see they were not but when I clicked on over to forums this topic lit up light the Christmas tree at the Rockefeller center :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    @rotblitz and @wubba: That's an oversight on my part. I'll get that fixed up shortly now. Thanks!
    Thankful People: wubba, rotblitz
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    I forgot to not elsewhere but all of the times in this system are in US Pacific time. This is not a permanent change but I consider it an upgrade from having to think in UTC all of the time. Soon we'll ask you which timezone you're in and show all of your stats in local time.
    Thankful People: nhhcs, wubba, rotblitz, srday, sradmin, jwest23
    • CommentAuthorbobojay
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    Still not working for me....
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    Hi how would I become a beta tester for the new stats system?
  2.  permalink
    Administrator
    @crazal15, bobjay - Read the original post in this thread
    • CommentAuthorsrday
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    It looks like all the stats are working tonight! Are they all on the shiny new system, or is this thanks to leftover connectivity to the old creaky system?

It's also worth noting that drop-down box navigation still does not work. To transition between the different reports, I have to return to the Stats Overview page and select a different link from the sidebar. This also means I'm unable to choose different date ranges to be displayed. Is this some kind of local scripting issue, or is that functionality still being developed?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    "It's also worth noting that drop-down box navigation still does not work."
    I want to second srday, having the same troubles.

Also, more cosmetically, the position of the "Recent Activity" link overlaps the network selection drop-down field.
  3.  permalink
    I have the same problem with drop-down box navigation not working and the position of the "Recent Activity" link overlaps the network selection drop-down field.
  4.  permalink
    Same problem here. The stats come up but, I can not get the dates drop-down box to appear either. Is OpenDNS working on this problem? I am using an iMac and a Mac Book Air ... is it an Apple problem?
    • CommentAuthorsrday
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    The drop-down box issue is definitely not an Apple-only problem. (I'm running PCs here.) I haven't seen the "Recent Activity" overlap issue, though.

I'm guessing the drop-down box functionality is still being developed...?
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    If I click on "Recent Activity" it takes me to "Total Requests" and "Recent Activity" is not listed in the drop down menu, it is only visible on the main "Stats" page, Thought I am not seeing the overlap issue.
    • CommentAuthorjoshray
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Top domains is not showing up yet. I was wondering if yall could put it on there?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    This is in a Beta phase with a limited number of users supported.
    http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2528&page=1
    • CommentAuthormeshtale
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    I'm not seeing any stats at all for one of my networks. Just the graphic that you see when you first sign up and there's no data (the sample graphics). Is this related? The IP address is accurate and DNS request are routed to OpenDNS, just no stats. (?)

I'd be happy to be part of the roll out for the next group. Maybe this will fix my problem.
  5.  permalink
    Could I please get on the beta tester list? I've been waiting on this one for quite some time. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    Didn't see the start of the thread? There are clear instructions on how to request this.
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    On the main Stats page if I click on "Blocked domains" it takes me to a page saying "Sorry, the page you requested wasn't found." but if I selected it from the drop down list it works.

I am a Beta tester for the new Stats system.
    • CommentAuthorgrimball
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    BETA FYI - I have the Top Domains showing, but have lost the "blocked" list. The heading for "Blocked" appears in the drop down list, but no data.....
    • CommentAuthorsrday
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    Same problem here.
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    Update: "Total Unique IPs" and "Request Types" are not working now either and redirects me to "Sorry, the page you requested wasn't found."
    • CommentAuthorsrday
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    "Total Unique IPs," "Request Types," and "Blocked Domains" all fail here.
    • CommentAuthorrcrowley
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    I'm putting the finishing touches on the backends for Blocked Domains, Request Types and Unique IPs. Next step is the UI for these and then the big rollout. Thanks for all of the feedback.
    Thankful People: wubba, markoe, patrick_mchugh, thednsguy
    • CommentAuthorlzy11o
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    全是鸟语
    • CommentAuthorajm786
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Domains is not showing up for me. It still says disabled. I was added to the beta list on Dec. 22. When is it supposed to show up?
    Thankful People: markoe
    • CommentAuthormarkoe
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    In the same boat as ajm786.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.