Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I'd like to be able to get more details on where the users on my network visited.

Currently, I can only see detail of the top 10 DNS hits, but I'd really like to see more detail than that, by day or by week (if possible), like:

domain # of requests
    www.google.com 125
    www.opendns.com 110
    www.digg.com 83
    google.com 20
    etc...

Our company has a network set aside for outside contractors to use. It was put together "on the cheap", so we don't have a proxy server, etc.

With more in-depth reporting of where the users are going, we can ensure that our contractors aren't just spending all day just streaming music, but are actually performing the work we are paying big bucks for them to do. (If some are going to places they shouldn't be visiting from work, we can block those sites with OpenDNS. We aren't looking to use this to justify getting rid of anyone, not that we could because the reports aren't tied to any particular user.)

We'd love to be able to see more than just the current top ten list. Perhaps the top 100 or so.
    • CommentAuthorjshier
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2007
    Yeah, for big networks Top Domains definitely needs to be more detailed and go beyond the top 10. And perhaps an option to remove block.opendns.com from it as well, since I block those domains because they're so popular.

@ptaylor874: There are probably other tools you can use locally that would give you an idea of where people are going on that network. DNS requests aren't really that accurate for overall traffic use.
    • CommentAuthorahoier
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2007
    Check out IEHistoryView :P But, if you have users on your network who use Firefox, either installed, or portable; you're outta luck :P

Then again, you could always lock/disable your USB ports...to curb the use of portable firefox/opera/etc. and force them to use the software you give them, under your control (IE: Internet Explorer 7.0 with decent security zone settings).
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2007
    Stay tuned. You're going to be pleased later this month (June).
    • CommentAuthortomnibus
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2007
    I'd like to see in my top domains the ability to omit one that is always at the top that's obviously an ad site like google adwords or doubleclick. It's annoying that the most-visited domains, all 10 of them are ad domains.
  2.  permalink
    Re: "... It's annoying that the most-visited domains, all 10 of them are ad domains ... "

That makes it a good listing to start from when adding entries to either your OpenDNS "blocked domains" ... or your own Hosts file! :cool:

See http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=335&page=1#Item_11 for a few entires other forum users have submitted.

I personally use all the blocked domain entires listed in that thread (plus a few more) as well as a Hosts file -- which I tailor -- but starting from the version at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    • CommentAuthorahoier
    the statistics page could be great to find "obscure" call-home type domains :) And yea, I've brought it up earlier - more stats are soon to come supposidely ;)

I hope they don't get huge growing pains like audioscrobbler/last.fm had...due to database complications and such. I know OpenDNS isn't related to music at all, but both sites seem to rely on statistics a lot :)
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    I was premature in my timing, but more/better stats are in progress.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.