Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorlcmbjm
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    Tech support at AT&T U-Verse says if I change my dns numbers I will not be able to access the internet - how can I use opendns AND u-verse? I have pc's and laptops that i NEED to protect
    • CommentAuthoredwins
    It's a Mac post, but it applies to PC's too;

http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2024

You apparently can change the DNS settings, just at the PC level not at the router.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    It depends also on the router you are using, if you are able to change your DNS settings, on the router or on the computer.
  1.  permalink
    The AT&T tech support may or may not be correct. If you are speaking to first-tier support, they are not very well-versed in the technology for the most part.

Have you tried changing the settings? If it doesn't work, change them back. It is really that simple.

Depending on what you are trying to protect these computers from, you should most likely add other solutions to the use of OpenDNS.
    • CommentAuthorjpmtexas
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    I had the same problem. The reason is that U-Verse is all IP based. If you change the DNS server on the router, you won't be able to find the all the U-Verse services for your phone and television. I finally changed the DNS addresses on my computer. They don't send those addresses to other DNS servers.
    Thankful People: maintenance
  2.  permalink
    I wasn't even thinking of the other U-Verse services. <duh>
    • CommentAuthorinbox788
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009 edited
    For a few bucks, you can add a second wireless router exclusively for desktop and laptop usage and setup OpenDNS only on that router.
    • CommentAuthorjshinn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    I have Uverse and changed my settings on the PC's and iMac and everything works fine.
    • CommentAuthorstonematt
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009 edited
    I have several WAPs (some 802.11g and some 802.11n) setup around my place and use the U-Verse router for DHCP on the network. this particular 2wire box that came w/ U-Verse doesn't allow you to change the DNS that is served over DHCP. It's a hassle, since this device is the final gateway offsite. I hate to introduce another mission critical device that has to be up and functioning to get online just to serve DHCP/DNS.

I have too many machines in and out to set DNS manually on all of them - that's what DHCP was invented for.
  3.  permalink
    I guess you'll be looking for another way to protect your systems, then?

Incidentally, one of the best ways to protect and control a network is to introduce such a device, whether it is a router, firewall, or server dedicated to such functions. (You are not specific as to what you mean by "protect", but that is largely irrelevant. Right behind the router is where you'd put nearly any protection scheme.)

Which 2Wire box is it? Are you looking for suggestions, or moving on?
    • CommentAuthorM Frank
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009 edited
    Best solution is to run two networks; the 2-wire box for the STBs (Set Top Boxes aka TV tuners) and another for your computers.

I would also turn up the firewall rules as high as their settings go and enter a rather long key for the cypher (slightly hard to sniff). Then obviously update the cypher in the STBs.

Then add a router or firewall/gateway to the 2-wire via internal ethernet. You be required to login to the 2-wire settings, the 2-wire box will recognize there is an other NAT behind it. The additional network will be put into DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), the 2-wire firewall settings will not be applied here.

The NAT behind the 2-wire box will be bridged to WAN; IP release renew will be resolved by the add-on network. Port block everything DHCP related on the external interface of the add-on device, and you will have yourself a free static IP.
    Thankful People: jeffreyg

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.