Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjshier
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2007
    I haven't heard anywhere if setting a custom DNS server is possible on the iPhone. I'm sure everyone here would like to know.
    • CommentAuthorTony
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2007
    If you're using your local network which is already set to using OpenDNS, you should automatically be using. With regards to using OpenDNS out in the wild... not sure if thats possible.
  1.  permalink
    I just got one yesterday and using OpenDNS is simple as far as the wifi connection is concerned. You just do the following :

1. Choose Settings
    2. Choose Wi-Fi
    3. Choose blue arrow at the far right of the network you are connected to.
    4. Then tap in the DNS box and input a OpenDNS server.

I tested this and it works great. I tried doing some domains with a .cm instead of .com as well as some domains that don't exist and each time OpenDNS either fixed the name or showed me their help/search page.

So, this should work as expected except for networks like T-Mobile Hotspots. I'm going to keep digging and see if I can find a way to change the DNS for the EDGE connection the phone uses but have been unable to find a place to change it yet.

I may even see if I can do a few quick screen grabs/photos of the steps above and post them.
    Thankful People: knowledge_worker
    • CommentAuthorcmot
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2007
    But to reiterate what was said earlier, you should set your entire network server to use OpenDNS. Changing things on the iPhone only changes it for a given server, there is no way to set a default/blanket DNS server. I guess if you hung around one starbucks or something you could set it for that network (since you can't change their router settings). But my iPhone is floating between so many networks, I can't really do more than change the ones I control.

-m
    • CommentAuthortwentyniner
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2007 edited
    Yes, every network that you 'control' you can set up to use OpenDNS and you have nothing further to do. If you are on a wifi connection somewhere that you don't control you can still easily go into the wifi settings and put in one of the OpenDNS servers and whammo. The original question was how to set a DNS server on the iPhone.
    • CommentAuthorJeff
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    I don't think you can change the DNS settings for 3G or E service, only when you are using a wi-fi connection. And my guess is that most people with this question want to use opendns.com with their cellular internet connection on their iPhone.
    • CommentAuthorbillso
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    Yes, this is probably wifi only, not 3G. And it's best done at the WiFi access point or the router...
    • CommentAuthorcjwebber
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    I am thinking about jailbreaking my iphone which will then allow me to install the terminal app in which case, I should be able to change the DNS for the 3G/EDGE network.

I'll let you guys know how that goes.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.