Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    I've noticed troubles while using my connection with opendns and I've discovered that my ISP is blocking opendns.

I configure the internet modem by myself,so, I noticed that it disconnected, it took a big while to go back online,so, I made a test, rollback the configurations and found out that it went online again.

So, the first thought to this was that the ISP is blocking the service to opendns.

Again I see restrictions:angry:, the restriction is to limit your freedom to choose. This maybe the first or not the first issue.
  1.  permalink
    can you go and run
    Nslookup www.opendns.com. 208.67.222.222
    nslookup www.opendns.com 208.67.220.220
    and if you are currently using your ISP'S DNS servers
    nslookup www.opendns.com.
    what troubles using your connection? can you get to any sites? if so most likely not Opendns being blocked problem..unless the sites are in your cache..
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    I'm using a windows machine, not a linux one and if that works with windows, I don't know how to make "Nslookup".

The trouble is that it won't make a connection,the modem/router won't stablish a connection, unless it's on the ISP dns servers.:sad:
    • CommentAuthorjoe262
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    x86:

When you say your ISP is blocking OpenDNS, what exactly do you mean by 'blocking'?

Are they forwarding traffic on port 53 intended for OpenDNS's nameservers to their own nameservers?

Or are their settings overwriting the settings you enter?

If it is the first possibility, as some ISP's deplorably do, then i dont know of any workaround.

If, as I suspect, it is the second possibility, then there is probably a workaround, but it would be helpful to have some additional info:

What Operating System are you using (what version specifically)?
    Using a router? If so, what kind?
    What indications led to the conclusion that they are blocking OpenDNS?

Please provide as much info as you can, including any error messages.

P.S You can definitely do nslookup on Windows. You open a command prompt (DOS prompt) thats where you type the command. : )
  2.  permalink
    @x86 click on the start prompt then click run type in CMD and enter.. then type in the nslookup strings and enter after each 1..
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009
    I did it @infinity306; it sent me a reply from the open dns servers.I made changes to the configuration of the ethernet card
  3.  permalink
    I meant to go do those and post the results here..
    but if the first 2 gave a reply of an IP address for www.opendns.com then that means your ISP is not blocking Opendns Traffic
    • CommentAuthorx86
    I got reply on both but the trouble is when I configure the name servers on the modem,is a 2wire modem/router.

I enter both servers and I get no connection, when I set it to the default or automatic ISP name servers it works, but works slow as hell.

For now I got those two problems, for the speed, I'll figure out, for the other I don't know whats wrong:confused:
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited
    So, you are using some version of Windows.

"I configure the internet modem by myself"
    Do you mean you put OpenDNS nameserver addresses on the modem/router?

"I made changes to the configuration of the ethernet card "
    You configured OpenDNS nameservers on the computer? If no, what changes did you make?

(Don't configure OpenDNS nameservers on both modem and PC, choose one.)

So, do you have proper internet connectivity now?

If not, please tell us all these things:
    The make and model of your router.
    At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all, and post the output here.
    Where exactly you configured OpenDNS nameservers - modem or PC.
    • CommentAuthorx86
    Do you mean you put OpenDNS nameserver addresses on the modem/router?, I actually did that. I've write the nameservers in the dns server option in the eternet card and on the modem.

You configured OpenDNS nameservers on the computer? If no, what changes did you make?, I changed the dns server properties on the eternet card,just did that, write opendns name servers.

So, do you have proper internet connectivity now?,I have more less good connection, this thing is slow, I got 512k and its running at about 96~128k,I know thats not a problem of opendns.As I configured the modem with that and the pc, I get a better connection.:cool:

The make and model of your router.
    2wire Gateway 1701HG
    Where exactly you configured OpenDNS nameservers - modem or PC
    on both
    At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all, and post the output here:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CASA-DELL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-F7-A8-2E-68
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 189.235.101.6
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20f:f7ff:fea8:2e68%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 189.235.101.5
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:47:47 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:57:47 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BD-EB-65-06
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:bdeb:6506::bdeb:6506
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BD-EB-65-06
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:189.235.101.6%2
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
  4.  permalink
    OK, just enter the nameserver addresses in either the 2Wire or the PC TCP/IP settings, not both. Setting them on the router is preferred. When set on the router, the TCP/IP DNS settings should point to the router's LAN IP. (The router is your LAN DNS server.)

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net
    Clearing these might help, if you want OpenDNS configured on the computer. Clear or leave these if you are going to have OpenDNS configured on the 2Wire.

You may also wish to disable or remove the IPv6 (Tunneling) functionality in Windows, as it is generally not needed.

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    You probably don't need this on, either.

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 189.235.101.5
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    Probably best if these are both the same (189.235.101.5).
    • CommentAuthorx86
    Thanks for the info, but, unfortunately, I don't know how to change settings,anyways, thank you.:bigsmile:
  5.  permalink
    These are all in TCP/IP settings, where you configured the nameservers. They are not all on the same tab or dialog box, but all are accessible from that point.

Here is a good place to look about getting around in XP network stuff. Check out the document link tree on the left.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/howto_enable_dhcp.mspx?mfr=true
    • CommentAuthorx86
    I did that, this now works, and the surprise is that the modem isn't showing that orange color in the brodband link indicator. The slow speed still is on, the ISP become into a sh... you know, they made an upgrade to every connection in mexico, if you had 512k, you'll get 1mb,if you had 256, you'll get 512k, so, making those changes take time and you must upgrade or change the network, the nodes, servers, etc, as for this, my modem connects to a node in other mexico state rather than in the one I live, thats an indicator of server/service outage.

Thanks for the help to everyone, keep opendns on and rolling.:bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    @maintenance
    "You may also wish to disable or remove the IPv6 (Tunneling) functionality in Windows, as it is generally not needed."
    Just a side note: I would not recommend removing this as long as there is true functioning IPv6 connectivity. And in case of @x86 there is! You already can do a lot in the IPv6 internet as I do.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:bdeb:6506::bdeb:6506
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

An existing defined gateway proves true IPv6 connectivity here, i.e. his ISP seems to support IPv6 already. Mine does not, and I need to use a 3rd party tunnel. :sad:
    Thankful People: maintenance
  6.  permalink
    Yes, I should have worded that more carefully, like, "if you know you do not need it." I did not look carefully enough to see that v6 was actually in use! :shamed:

My tendency is to think of IPv6 settings as a security risk when not properly configured, as is frequently the case when IPv6 is not in use. Being in use, the configuration is probably good. :cool:

My question: Why would 6to4 tunneling be used if the network is native IPv6? I'll need to refresh my knowledge on this, I think.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited
    "Why would 6to4 tunneling be used if the network is native IPv6?"
    I would believe that parts of the ISP's network are not really IPv6 capable yet, so they encapsulate IPv6 into IPv4, the latter as the carrier or tunnel.

"My tendency is to think of IPv6 settings as a security risk"
    Indeed, it can be. Most firewalls (hardware and software) cannot handle IPv6 packets and let them pass through. However, the likeliness to become a victim of an attack today is rather negligible. Due to the IPv6 address structure and quantity it is nearly impossible to scan for existing operational IPv6 addresses. Therefore, and because IPv6 is rather rarely used, it is not really interesting for hackers to become very active here and now. For comparison: see the likelihood of attacks against Windows and against Linux or even Mac...
    Further, as you can see, the dangerous NetBIOS is disabled by default, which is very good. Most other ports are not listened to, if you didn't intend it, or they are often secure enough, like SSH or (read-only) HTTP(S), or they simply don't listen on the IPv6 address, just the IPv4 address. However, some applications may still be a risk, like SQL-DBs and such...
    But "normal" users don't have such stuff anyway.
  7.  permalink
    "I would believe that parts of the ISP's network are not really IPv6 capable yet, so they encapsulate IPv6 into IPv4, the latter as the carrier or tunnel."

Makes sense to me. Thanks.
    Thankful People: x86
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited
    Ipv6 encapsulation into Ipv4 is the best way for now on, as many companies,ISP's don't have the Ipv6 tech yet, thats why for now we got to stay with the legacy Ipv4.The best to do for now is change to Ipv6, as not much people uses it, so, it could be hacker free.

As an add, the change to Ipv6 to Ipv4, I mean the conversion from one to other and viceversa, could make the system to be slightly slow.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009
    "the conversion from one to other and viceversa, could make the system to be slightly slow."
    No, not really the system, but the speed or throughput of the connection.
    However, if IPv6 is installed but not used, this can slow down the connection speed even more due to unnecessary attempts to do something via IPv6. Therefore my recommendation to leave IPv6 if you have any kind of IPv6 connectivity, but really uninstall it if not.
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited
    Error! Posted in wrong thread. Duh. :shamed:
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009
    @maintenance, don't worry, we are humans and humans mistake, I have no problem about it.
  8.  permalink
    :bigsmile: Thanks.

The dangers of multiple tabs open in a browser finally caught up with me.:wink:
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009
    You're welcome.

I got that trouble too, but, this isn't a browser, is a messenger client, you could be chatting with someone then if one talks to you and casually it happens when you are writting, what you wrote could be written in the other messenger tab.
  9.  permalink
    espero que hables español compadre mira ya checaste que no tengas bloquadas las secciones que no te aparecen en el filtro?

aajjaa yo tengo intercable monterrey y me va de maravilla
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited
    "I hope you speak Spanish and Czech."
    Someone here may speak Spanish or Czech, but you can try text translation also.
    Please try writing full sentences, it will help us understand you better.
    http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Intercable is your ISP, yes?

"not have blocked the sections do not appear in the filter?"
    I do not know what this means.

Filtering is not working?
    You need to know something about the Dashboard > Settings page?
    You do not see blocked domains in the Stats page?

------------------

"Espero que hablan español y checo."
    Alguien puede hablar español o en checo, pero se puede tratar también la traducción de texto.
    Por favor, intente escribir frases completas, que nos ayudará a entender mejor.
    http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Intercable es su proveedor de acceso a Internet, ¿sí?

"no han bloqueado las secciones que no aparecen en el filtro?"
    No sé lo que esto significa.

Filtrado no está funcionando?
    Lo que necesita saber algo sobre el Escritorio> Configuración de página?
    Usted no ve los dominios bloqueados en la Estadística de la página?
    • CommentAuthorx86
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited
    I speak both spanish and english, lets try to stick to one language, people may get in a confusion or may not understand.

Hablo ambos idiomas, español e ingles, tratemos de apegarnos a un solo lenguaje, la gente podria confundirse o posiblemente no entienda.

*I may help to translate from spanish to english and viceversa / Podria ayudar a traducir del español al ingles y viceversa.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.