Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortmiller322
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009
    My name is Tim Miller and I’m employed by Columbus City Schools to support their computer network.

We have 148 schools in and around Columbus with a couple of administrative office as well. That number changes as new schools are built and old ones are taken down. Our network, right now, consists of just under 4,000 switches, mostly Cisco, but almost every network vender has a presence here. We also have two diverse 1 gig connections to the internet that we have rated limited down too 100 meg. So we should be ready on that front.

We run a mixed environment of Unix servers, Novell, and Microsoft. But I’m sure if we looked hard enough we could find everything else on our network. Towards the end of the last school year we started centralizing our server infrastructure with IBM blades as-well-as clientless workstations. This does help us provide a safer computing environment for our students but alas where there is a will there is a way.

So, OpenDNS. I’ve known about OpenDNS for a while but didn’t seriously consider using it until a couple of our students presented our department with some ideals that they thought would help enhance our computing environment. One of them was to use OpenDNS, so we tried it and here we are.

I’m sure that all of you have experience with how resourceful students can be, OpenDNS has helped us close some holes (proxies) that we were handling thru a manual process. The ease of using OpenDNS and the vast input from other users made using this DNS server a no brainer.

I hope that this forum will provide a place for people to share ideals, stories, and experiences. I have already gained some insight from the comments left by Arizona’s moderator about a wireless infrastructure.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.